Dear DelNature Camp Parents,
Welcome to Summer Camp at Coverdale Farm Preserve
We are thrilled to be welcoming you to our program this summer and we can’t wait for all the amazing adventures we will have and all the memories we will make!
Summer Camp at Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) is all about getting outdoors, exploring, and discovering. DelNature camps offer a unique and safe summer experience in natural areas and preserves while connecting children with nature through hands-on, outdoor experiences.
To make our summer the best it can possibly be, we want to best prepare you for our pickup and drop off procedures, as well as giving you an overview of our policies and what we advise you send your child with to camp each day. If you have any questions relating to any of the information bellow, please reach out ahead of time at Coverdaleprograms@delnature.org
Full Day Programs for Ages 5-6:
Drop Off: 8:20am – 8:45am
For a smooth and safe drop-off, we request parents stay in their car during drop-off. Once you turn down the driveway please continue straight until you reach the education building. Drop-off will be at the education building, which is located on the left after you pass the parking lot. A camp staff member will meet each camper at their car and escort the camper to their camp group. This roadway will be blocked off before and after pick-up since it becomes a pedestrian zone during camp. If you arrive before pick-up time please wait in your car at the barrier.
Pick Up: 2:45pm-3:00pm
For a smooth and safe drop-off, we request parents stay in their car during pick-up. Pick-up will occur at the education building, the same way drop-off operates. Upon arrival, a staff member will greet you at your car to verify who you are picking up and your identify, so please have your ID ready. Children may be walking in this area so please proceed with caution. If you arrive before pick-up time please wait in your car at the barrier.
We require a valid photo identification for pick up each day.
To help the line move quickly please have your child’s last name posted in your front windshield.
There are a few ways you can help make this process easier, smoother, and quicker.
- If you have any questions/concerns about our programs/your child/early dismissal – please talk to us ahead of time. You can do this by emailing us at email@example.com or call Mindy @302-413-5078 and we will be happy to help.
- Prepare your child – especially for young children. Explain the process. The drop-off and pick-up are a “drive through” where only the child gets out of the car. So, goodbyes, hugs, and kisses all happen in the car and the staff will help your children to the instructor.
- Organize your child’s items so it is easy to grab as they get out of the car.
- Put sunscreen/bug spray on at home or before getting in the car line by parking in one of the parking spots as you drive in.
- Be understanding and patient through the drop off and pick up process. Our primary job is to keep everyone safe and to do that – it sometimes takes a little longer than normal. Allowing us to be thorough in this process ensures peace of mind that your child is with the correct trusted adult.
- We are happy to answer quick questions or give updates in the car line. For longer discussions, we will ask that you pull off to the side to talk to a senior camp staff member or arrange another meeting time. We do need to keep the car line moving for the other campers and their families
Basic Policies for All Summer Camps:
- Absence: If your child is not able to attend on a particular day, please let us know promptly so the class is not delayed waiting for your child’s arrival. You can email Coverdaleprograms@delnature.org or call 302-413-5078
- Non-Parent Pick-Up: Add authorized pick-up people to your child’s file during registration. After registration, authorized pick up people can be added through a simple form that can be picked-up in car line. ID’s will be checked at pick up.
- Inclement Weather at Pick-Up: In case of heavy rain or thunderstorms please stay in your car until the storm abates. We will keep children in a safe, dry place during inclement weather. We may alternate drop-off/pick-up plans as needed. You will be communicated by either email or on-site staff member. Please note this may result in late pick up. Parents who cannot wait out the thunderstorm at pick up are welcome to pick up their child early.
- Road Closures: During the summer, construction and road closures happen. We will do our best to alert you of these as we become aware of them. Updates will be posted on our website and the DelNature Facebook page.
- Lunch & Snacks – Campers should bring water, lunch and snacks. If refrigeration is needed, campers will be asked to use an “Igloo” or similar personal lunch box with a cold pack. Water bottles can be refilled at camp sinks.
- All allergies (food or other), emotional, physical, and behavioral exceptionalities, restrictions, or medical needs must be listed on your child’s registration form, so that we can ensure they have a safe and quality camp experience. Bring any medications labeled and in a Ziploc bag when you drop off your child. Medications must be accompanied with a Parent Permission Form for Medication. Medications must be handed to a staff member at check-in on Monday morning.
- Sick Policy: We ask parents to screen their child for illness before coming to camp each morning. If your child is showing any signs of illness, please keep them home. We will send children showing signs of illness home.
- Refunds, Cancellations & Transfers: Requests for withdrawal, up to 7 days before the first day of the camp session will be honored with a full refund if we can fill your child’s spot at the time of cancellation, with a camper on the waiting list. If we cannot fill the spot, a $50 cancellation fee will be withheld.
Cancellation less than 7 days prior to the start of the camp session are not refundable.
Transfers will be accommodated as available. Two session transfers per child, to another camp session, are permitted. Any additional transfers will be charged a $35 administrative fee.
What To Bring:
- Day Pack with water bottle and snacks. Packs will be stored in a classroom during the day but water bottles will be carried by your child to all their activities.
- A change of clothes and shoes – shoes get wet, it’s best to have a dry pair to change in to!
- Medication Form (If required, please bring completed form on your campers first day.)
- Please label all of your child’s clothing and possessions.
What To Wear:
- Wear comfortable, weather appropriate and clothes that can get dirty/wet.
- Hat (optional)
- Closed-Toe Shoes for walking– (NO Flip Flops or Sandals)
- It’s good to have one pair of shoes that stays dry, so kids don’t get blisters from playing, walking, and hiking in wet shoes.
Additional Notes for Cooking Camp :
- Closed toed shoes
- Hair tied back/braided and not hanging down loosely
- No ‘flowing sleeves’
- Bring 1 or two smaller plastic dishes with tight fitting lids to take some goodies