Dear DelNature Parents,
Welcome to Preschool Summer Fun at Ashland Nature Center!
We are thrilled to be welcoming you to our program this summer and we can’t wait for all the amazing adventures we will have and all the memories we will make!
Preschool Summer Fun at Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) is all about getting outdoors, exploring, and discovering. DelNature programs offer a unique and safe summer experience in natural areas and preserves while connecting children with nature through hands-on, outdoor experiences.
To make our summer the best it can possibly be, we want to best prepare you for our pickup and drop off procedures, as well as giving you an overview of our policies and what we advise you send your child with each day. If you have any questions relating to any of the information bellow, please reach out ahead of time at AshlandPrograms@DelNature.org or 302.239.2334 Ext. 1003.
Half Day Programs for Ages 3-4:
Drop Off: 8:20am – 8:45am
Drop off is in the main parking lot. Adults dropping off will be asked to stay in their cars for drop-off. A staff member will meet each child at their car and escort them to their group.
Pick Up: 11:45am – 12:00pm
Pick up is in the main parking lot. Adults picking up will also be asked to remain in their vehicles where a staff member will check their ID. Preschoolers will be called and delivered to their car and signed out by the individual picking up the child.
We require a valid photo identification for pick up each day.
To help the line move quickly please have your child’s last name posted in your front windshield.
If your child is attending Before Care, drop off is in the main parking lot between 7:30am and 8:15am.
There are a few ways you can help make this process easier, smoother, and quicker.
- If you have any questions/concerns about our programs/your child/early dismissal – please talk to us ahead of time. You can do this by emailing us at AshlandPrograms@DelNature.org or calling us at 302.239.2334 Ext. 1003 and we will be happy to help.
- Prepare your child – especially for young children. Explain the process. The drop-off and pick-up are a “drive through” where only the child gets out of the car. So, goodbyes, hugs, and kisses all happen in the car and the staff will help your children to the instructor.
- Organize your child’s items so it is easy to grab as they get out of the car.
- Put sunscreen/bug spray on at home or before getting in the car line by parking in one of the parking spots as you drive in.
- Be understanding and patient through the drop off and pick up process. Our primary job is to keep everyone safe and to do that – it sometimes takes a little longer than normal. Allowing us to be thorough in this process ensures peace of mind that your child is with the correct trusted adult.
- We are happy to answer quick questions or updates in the car line. For longer discussions feel free to park after dropping your child off (or picking up) and meet one of our senior staff in the picnic area. One of the amazing DelNature staff members will be able to direct you to who you need.
Basic Policies for All Preschool Summer Fun Programs:
- Absence: If your child is not able to attend on a particular day, please let us know promptly so the class is not delayed waiting for your child’s arrival. See below for contact information at Ashland Nature Center.
- Potty Training: Our staff are focused on providing safe and fun experiences for your children but due to staff capabilities and facilities we are not equipped to change diapers. If your child is not potty trained, please reach out to our staff at least 1 week prior to your child’s week.
- Non-Parent Pick-Up: Add authorized pick up people to your child’s file during registration. After registration, authorized pick up people can be added through our front desk. ID’s will be checked at pick up.
- Inclement Weather at Pick-Up: In case of heavy rain or thunderstorms please stay in your car until the storm abates. We will keep children in a safe, dry place during inclement weather and staff will then bring the group out for pick up. Please note this may result in late pick up. Parents who cannot wait out the thunderstorm at pick up are welcome to pick up their child early.
- Road Closures: During the summer, construction and road closures happen. We will do our best to alert you of these as we become aware of them. Updates will be posted on our website and the DelNature Facebook page.
- Lunch & Snacks – Preschoolers should bring water, lunch and snacks. If refrigeration is needed, please use an “Igloo” or similar personal lunch box with a cold pack. Water bottles can be refilled at the water fountain.
- All allergies (food or other), emotional, physical, and behavioral exceptionalities, restrictions, or medical needs must be listed on your child’s registration form, so that we can ensure they have a safe and quality experience. Bring any medications labeled and in a Ziploc bag when you drop off your child. Medications must be accompanied with a Parent Permission Form for Medication.
- Sick Policy: We ask parents to screen their child for illness before coming each morning. If your child is showing any signs of illness, please keep them home. We will send children showing signs of illness home.
- Refunds, Cancellations & Transfers: Requests for withdrawal, up to 7 days before the first day of the session will be honored with a full refund if we can fill your child’s spot at the time of cancellation, with a child on the waiting list. If we cannot fill the spot, a $50 cancellation fee will be withheld.
Cancellation less than 7 days prior to the start of the session are not refundable.
Transfers will be accommodated as available. Two session transfers per child, to another session, are permitted. Any additional transfers will be charged a $35 administrative fee.
What To Bring:
- Day Pack with water bottle, snacks, and lunch. Packs will be stored in a classroom during the day but water bottles will be carried by your child to all their activities.
- A change of clothes and shoes – shoes get wet, it’s best to have a dry pair to change in to!
- Non-aerosol Insect Repellant and Sunscreen.
- Bathing Suit and Towel – Won’t be used everyday but good to pack once to have just in case.
- Medication Form (If required, please bring completed form on your campers first day.)
- Please label all of your child’s clothing and possessions.
What To Wear:
- Closed-Toe Shoes for walking– (NO Flip Flops or Sandals)
- Closed-Toe shoes for playing in water – (NO Flip Flops or Sandals)
- Its good to have one pair of shoes that stays dry, so kids don’t get blisters from playing, walking, and hiking in wet shoes.
- Dress for the weather, we go outside if it is raining.