Dear DelNature Camp Parents,
Welcome to Camp Canoe Club!
For this camp, we travel offsite to Octoraro and require this waiver be returned and signed. Print and return the form here.
We are thrilled to be welcoming you to our program this summer, and we can’t wait for all the amazing adventures we will have and all the memories we will make!
Summer Camp at Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) is all about getting outdoors, exploring, and discovering. DelNature camps offer a unique and safe summer experience in natural areas and preserves while connecting children with nature through hands-on, outdoor experiences. During this exciting week of camp, your camper will put their paddling skills to the test! Learn basic strokes and enjoy wildlife. They will put their skills to work on a cruise down the Brandywine River. All experience levels welcome, but campers must be able to swim.
Full Day Programs for Ages 9-11:
Drop Off: 8:20am – 8:45am
Drop off is in the main parking lot. Parents will be asked to stay in their cars for drop-off. A camp staff member will meet each camper at their car and escort the camper to their camp group.
Pick Up: 2.45pm- 3.15pm
Pick up is in the main parking lot. Parents will also be asked to remain in their vehicles. Parents will notify staff at the designated pick-up area of camper name. Camper will be called and delivered to parent in car and signed out by the individual picking up the child.
To help the line move quickly please have your child’s last name posted in your front windshield.
Please note: Campers in 9-11 and 12-15 camps will leave the premises for off-site excursions and for that reason, late drop off and early pick up are unable to be accommodated.
Before Camp Care:
If your child is attending Before Camp, drop off is in the main parking lot between 7:30am and 8:15am.
After Camp Care:
If your child is attending After Camp, pickup is in the Ashland Picnic Area located off the main parking lot. Parents will be asked to remain in their vehicles during After Camp pickup. Parents will notify staff at the designated pickup area which child they are picking up. Campers will be called over, and staff will complete sign out.
Parents of children picked up late (after 3.15pm) will be sent to After Camp, pick up is in the Ashland Picnic Area located off the main parking lot. Parents will also be asked to remain in their vehicles during late pick up and will follow typical After Camp sign out.
There are a few ways you can help make this process easier, smoother, and quicker.
- If you have any questions/concerns about the camp/your child/early dismissal – please talk to us ahead of time. You can do this by emailing us at AshlandPrograms@DelNature.org or calling us at 302.239.2334 Ext. 1003 and we will be happy to help.
- Prepare your child – especially for young children. Explain the process. The drop-off and pick-up are a “drive through” where only the child gets out of the car. So, goodbyes, hugs, and kisses all happen in the car and the camp staff will help your children to the camp instructor.
- Organize your child’s items so it is easy to grab as they get out of the car.
- Put sunscreen/bug spray on before arriving!
- Be understanding and patient through the drop off and pick up process. Our primary job is to keep everyone safe and to do that – it sometimes takes a little longer than normal. Allowing us to be thorough in this process ensures peace of mind that your camper is with the correct trusted adult.
Basic Policies for All Summer Camps:
- Refunds, Cancellations & Transfers: Requests for withdrawal, up to 7 days before the first day of the camp session will be honored with a full refund if we can fill your child’s spot at the time of cancellation, with a camper on the waiting list. If we cannot fill the spot, a $50 cancellation fee will be withheld.
Cancellation less than 7 days prior to the start of the camp session are not refundable.
Transfers will be accommodated as available. Two session transfers per child, to another camp session, are permitted. Any additional transfers will be charged a $35 administrative fee.
- Absence: If your child is not able to attend on a particular day, please let us know promptly so the class is not delayed waiting for your child’s arrival. See below for contact information at your camp’s site.
- Non-Parent Pick-Up: Add authorized pick up people to your childs file during registration. After registration, authorized pick up people can be added through our front desk. ID’s will be checked at pick up.
- Inclement Weather at Pick-Up: In case of heavy rain or thunderstorms please stay in your car until the storm abates. We will keep the campers in a safe, dry place during inclement weather and staff will then bring the campers out for pick up. Please note this may result in late pick up. Parents who cannot wait out the thunderstorm at pick up are welcome to pick up their child early.
- Road Closures: During the summer, construction and road closures happen. We will do our best to alert you of these as we become aware of them. Updates will be posted on our website and the DelNature Facebook page.
- Lunch & Snacks – Campers should bring water, lunch and snacks. If refrigeration is needed, campers will be asked to use an “Igloo” or similar personal lunch box with a cold pack. Water bottles can be refilled at the water fountain.
- All allergies (food or other), emotional, physical, and behavioral exceptionalities, restrictions, or medical needs must be listed on your child’s registration form, so that we can ensure they have a safe and quality camp experience. Bring any medications labeled and in a Ziploc bag when you drop off your child. Medications must be accompanied with a Parent Permission Form for Medication.
- Sick Policy: We ask parents to screen their child for illness before coming to camp each morning. If your child is showing any signs of illness, please keep them home. We will send children showing signs of illness home.
What To Pack:
- Lunch – Please pack in a waterproof container (like a dry bag).
- Water Bottle
- 20 Liter Dry Bag: We strongly suggest purchasing a 20 liter dry bag for your child to store and carry their lunch and belongings.
- Rain jacket if rain is in the forecast
- Optional Life Jacket: We provide life jackets which we will properly fit to your child but your child can bring their own if they prefer.
- Extra sunscreen and/or insect repellent.
- Medication Form (If required, please bring completed form on your campers first day.)
What to Wear:
- Bathing suit or clothes that can get wet and dirty.
- Close-toed water shoes or sneakers that can get wet and that stay on.
- Kayak gloves or a pair of good fitting garden gloves are optional, but they help prevent blisters and make hands more comfortable when paddling.
- Hat (helpful for sun and insect protection)
- Closed-Toe Shoes – Old Sneakers or Water Shoes (NO Flip Flops or Sandals)
- Dress for the weather, we go outside if it is raining.
Hello Insight Evaluations
In order to assure that the summer camp program is of high quality and has a positive impact on your child(ren), Delaware Nature Society is partnering with Hello Insight to evaluate our programs for quality improvement efforts. Because your child participates in Summer Camp for 9-15 year olds, they will be invited to fill out an online or paper survey at the end of their camp week. These surveys measure the impact of the program on your child’s development and capture your child’s experiences within the program, allowing us to make critical improvements to meet their needs. All youth involved in the 9-15 age groups will be invited to participate in this survey.
Please read through the attached letter for more information. If you choose to have your child opt out of this survey, please turn in the form at the end of the letter by Thursday of your child’s camp week. Opt out forms can be sent to Ashlandprograms@delnature.org.