Dear DelNature Camp Parents,
Welcome to Greek Week!
We are thrilled to be welcoming you to our program this summer, and we can’t wait for all the amazing adventures we will have and all the memories we will make! This camp is held at Granogue Estate, 2900 Montchanin Rd, Wilmington. Camp will be held directly across from the observatory tower. Stay on the main road/ driveway going through the estate until you see our setup.
Our family night will take place on Wednesday, between 8pm-10pm, where families are invited to come along and accompany their campers in viewing the Perseid meteor shower in the shadow of the Granogue tower. Bring a picnic blanket to sit on as you listen to stories of the sky with astronomer Sheila Vincent. Campers must be accompanied by an adult. Siblings and parents welcome.
Summer Camp at Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) is all about getting outdoors, exploring, and discovering. DelNature camps offer a unique and safe summer experience in natural areas and preserves while connecting children with nature through hands-on, outdoor experiences.
To make our summer the best it can possibly be, we want to best prepare you for our pickup and drop off procedures, as well as giving you an overview of our policies and what we advise you send your child with to camp each day. If you have any questions relating to any of the information bellow, please reach out ahead of time at AshlandPrograms@DelNature.org or give us a call at 302.239.2334 Ext. 1003.
Full Day Programs for Ages 9-11:
Drop Off: 8:20am – 8:45am
Drop off is in the main parking lot. Parents will be asked to stay in their cars for drop-off. A camp staff member will meet each camper at their car and escort the camper to their camp group.
Pick Up: 2:45pm- 3:15pm
Pick up is in the main parking lot. Parents will also be asked to remain in their vehicles. Parents will notify staff at the designated pick-up area of camper name. Camper will be called and delivered to parent in car and signed out by the individual picking up the child.
Basic Policies for All Summer Camps:
- Refunds, Cancellations & Transfers: Requests for withdrawal, up to 7 days before the first day of the camp session will be honored with a full refund if we can fill your child’s spot at the time of cancellation, with a camper on the waiting list. If we cannot fill the spot, a $50 cancellation fee will be withheld.
Cancellation less than 7 days prior to the start of the camp session are not refundable.
Transfers will be accommodated as available. Two session transfers per child, to another camp session, are permitted. Any additional transfers will be charged a $35 administrative fee.
- Absence: If your child is not able to attend on a particular day, please let us know promptly so the class is not delayed waiting for your child’s arrival. See below for contact information at your camp’s site.
- Non-Parent Pick-Up: Add authorized pick up people to your childs file during registration. After registration, authorized pick up people can be added through our front desk. ID’s will be checked at pick up.
- Inclement Weather at Pick-Up: In case of heavy rain or thunderstorms please stay in your car until the storm abates. We will keep the campers in a safe, dry place during inclement weather and staff will then bring the campers out for pick up. Please note this may result in late pick up. Parents who cannot wait out the thunderstorm at pick up are welcome to pick up their child early.
- Road Closures: During the summer, construction and road closures happen. We will do our best to alert you of these as we become aware of them. Updates will be posted on our website and the DelNature Facebook page.
- Lunch & Snacks – Campers should bring water, lunch and snacks. If refrigeration is needed, campers will be asked to use an “Igloo” or similar personal lunch box with a cold pack. Water bottles can be refilled at the water fountain.
- All allergies (food or other), emotional, physical, and behavioral exceptionalities, restrictions, or medical needs must be listed on your child’s registration form, so that we can ensure they have a safe and quality camp experience. Bring any medications labeled and in a Ziploc bag when you drop off your child. Medications must be accompanied with a Parent Permission Form for Medication.
- Sick Policy: We ask parents to screen their child for illness before coming to camp each morning. If your child is showing any signs of illness, please keep them home. We will send children showing signs of illness home.
What To Bring:
- Day Pack with water bottle, snacks, and lunch. Packs will be stored in a classroom during the day.
- A change of clothes and shoes – shoes get wet, it’s best to have a dry pair to change in to!
- Non-aerosol Insect Repellent and Sunscreen.
- Bathing Suit and Towel
- Medication Form (If required, please bring completed form on your campers first day.)
- Camping Chair
What To Wear:
- Closed-Toe Shoes – Old Sneakers or Water Shoes (NO Flip Flops or Sandals)
- Dress for the weather, we go outside if it is raining.
Hello Insight Evaluations
In order to assure that the summer camp program is of high quality and has a positive impact on your child(ren), Delaware Nature Society is partnering with Hello Insight to evaluate our programs for quality improvement efforts. Because your child participates in Summer Camp for 9-15 year olds, they will be invited to fill out an online or paper survey at the end of their camp week. These surveys measure the impact of the program on your child’s development and capture your child’s experiences within the program, allowing us to make critical improvements to meet their needs. All youth involved in the 9-15 age groups will be invited to participate in this survey.
Please read through the attached letter for more information. If you choose to have your child opt out of this survey, please turn in the form at the end of the letter by Thursday of your child’s camp week. Opt out forms can be sent to Ashlandprograms@delnature.org.