Opportunity Type: Full-time - Exempt
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Coverdale Farm Preserve (CFP) Vegetable Production Assistant works in direct partnership with the Coverdale Farm Preserve Vegetable Production Manager to manage the day-to-day operation of the Vegetable Production enterprise. Through the lens of regenerative land systems and bio-intensive practices, the position provides input into annual production plans aligned with site/organizational goals and assists in creating and implementing efficient operational systems. The position takes a lead role in field/harvest/wash and pack operations, supports plant propagation work along with the operation and maintenance of all Vegetable Production related infrastructure, small farm equipment, tools, inputs and materials. The CFP Vegetable Production Assistant co-manages a team of seasonal employees and leads a team of Vegetable Production Volunteers. This position works collaboratively with both site and organizational teams to make Coverdale a place for education, community engagement, training, and events. It promotes Delaware Nature Society’s mission by building strong relationships with the people we serve to grow membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation, and financial support.
- Collaborates with CFP Vegetable Production Manager by providing input into the annual production plan.
- Develops monthly/daily/weekly task lists in coordination with CFP Vegetable Production Manager to satisfy goals of annual production plan. Practices adaptive management of lists regularly and communicate effectively with VP team.
- Acts as field lead for all necessary cultural practices for vegetable crops including weeding, trellising, pruning, thinning, nutrient/pest/disease management, protection against adverse weather, etc.
- Harvests, washes and packs produce to fulfill weekly client purchase schedule maintaining the highest standard of food safety and quality. Ensures standard operating procedures are in accordance with the Food Safety Modernization Act.
- Supports all aspects of greenhouse work: seed germination, plant propagation, seedling care, transplanting, and hardening off.
- Provides support and task assignment to a seasonal team of employees, specifically takes leadership of team in field operations, harvest, wash and pack functions.
- Leads a team of Vegetable Production Volunteers to supplement seasonal employee’s capacity.
- Performs other duties as requested by Supervisor.
- Participate and support organization wide events and programs.
- Promote and support Delaware Nature Society’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- At least two years’ experience working on a 4-season, diversified vegetable production enterprise demonstrating successful plant propagation, field production, managing productive staff teams, excellent client/customer skills, efficient operational systems.
- Knowledge of regenerative/sustainable/organic field management, regenerative/sustainable/organic certification record keeping/process, and regenerative land management. Experience with greenhouses and polyculture growing.
- Excellent mechanical knowledge of and ability to repair small equipment and related equipment for the operation.
- Highly organized, able to balance multiple projects and priorities within the role and site. Exceptional project and time management
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site and the growing season.
- Punctuality, dependability, effective communication skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Perform additional duties at the request of supervisor, site director or leadership team member.
Salary and Benefits
$44,000. Salary is commensurate with experience. Eligible for full benefits package including health, dental, vision, and retirement.
Applicants for Vegetable Production Assistant Job Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)