Opportunity Type: 12-week, Contract
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Extended Care Coordinator position is a 12-week term contract assignment primarily located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. The Extended Care Coordinator is responsible for the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5 to 15 during extended sessions to the camp day. The coordinator will participate in 1 week of training prior to the start of the summer camp season. Typical hours are 2 pm – 6:30 pm, Monday through Friday but are subject to change.
- Develop and lead activities during the After-Camp program
- Support and participate in instructor training events and activities
- Assist with program preparation and clean-up and with care and handling of program materials, equipment, and live animals
- Coordinate with supervisors to ensure program quality and safety
- Assist with regular camp day pick up and transition into After-Camp program
- Assist with other camp duties as needed
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Public relations/communication skills
- Experience with group management in an unconventional setting
- Natural sciences knowledge
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors, and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Valid Drivers License
- 21 years of age or older
Highlights of the Summer Camp Extended Care Coordinator Experience
- Working with supportive, experienced and knowledgeable staff
- Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Receiving training in environmental education teaching techniques, behavior management strategies, outdoor leadership, team building, first aid/CPR, and other outdoor recreation training as needed.
- Receiving training on animal handling for animal collections
Salary and Benefits
This position is paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 12-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld. The coordinator may utilize shared DelNature housing including utilities in the Ashland Nature Center farmhouse if needed and available. The Ashland Farmhouse is fully furnished and includes 3 private bedrooms, 1 and ½ shared bathrooms, common kitchen with appliances/utensils, dining room, living room, and screened in front porch.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References