Opportunity Type: 12-week, Contract
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Summer Camp Assistant position is a part time, 12-week term contract assignment primarily located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. Summer Camp Assistants support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5 to 15 during week-long summer camp programs. assistants participate in 1 week of training and assist with organizing and teaching extended care programs and summer camp programs as needed.
- Support summer camp instructors with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of summer camp programming
- Assist with daily camp program preparation and clean up, and with care and maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
- Support and participate in instructor training events and activities
- Co-lead early morning care and/or afternoon extended care as needed
- Assist with overnight campout or extended day events as needed
- Current student enrolled in college/university program pursuing a degree in environmental, wildlife, recreation or education related field
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Public relations/communication skills
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Valid Drivers License
- 18 years of age or older
Highlights of the Summer Camp Assistant Experience
- Working with supportive, experienced and knowledgeable staff
- Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Assisting with outdoor recreation activities such as canoeing, kayaking, camping, hiking, fishing, photography, and many other exciting adventures
- Exploring the many preserves managed by DelNature
- Receiving training in environmental education teaching techniques, behavior management strategies, outdoor leadership, team building, first aid/CPR, canoe and water safety, archery, and other outdoor recreation training as needed
- Receiving training on animal handling for animal collections
Salary and Benefits
Summer Camp Assistants are paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 12-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References