Opportunity Type: 12-week, Contract
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Summer Camp Assistant position is a part time, 12-week term contract assignment primarily located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. Summer Camp Assistants support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 3 to 15 during week-long summer camp programs. assistants participate in 1 week of training and assist with organizing and teaching extended care programs and summer camp programs as needed.
- Support summer camp instructors with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of summer camp programming
- Assist with daily camp program preparation and clean up, and with care and maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
- Support and participate in instructor training events and activities
- Co-lead early morning care and/or afternoon extended care as needed
- Assist with overnight campout or extended day events as needed
- Current student enrolled in college/university program pursuing a degree in environmental, wildlife, recreation or education related field
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Public relations/communication skills
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Valid Drivers License
- 18 years of age or older
Highlights of the Summer Camp Assistant Experience
- Working with supportive, experienced, and knowledgeable staff
- Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Assisting with outdoor recreation activities such as canoeing, kayaking, camping, hiking, fishing, photography, and many other exciting adventures
- Exploring the many preserves managed by DelNature
- Receiving training in environmental education teaching techniques, behavior management strategies, outdoor leadership, team building, first aid/CPR, canoe and water safety, archery, and other outdoor recreation training as needed
- Receiving training on animal handling for animal collections
Salary and Benefits
Summer Camp Assistants are paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 12-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References