Opportunity Type: Seasonal, Non-exempt
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Coverdale Farm Preserve features four key enterprises: four-season vegetable production, livestock husbandry and production, on-farm market, and farm-based education/engagement. The Farm Apprentice is an interdisciplinary, seasonal position involved in each of the four enterprises with a focus on vegetable production and livestock husbandry and production. The Farm Apprentice program provides comprehensive training/experience to prepare one for service to community through regenerative agriculture. The Farm Apprentice is an integral member of the Farm Team working in coordination with the Site Director/Farm Manager, Vegetable Production Manager, Vegetable Production Assistant, Program Manager, Education & Preschool Coordinator, Education Assistant, Market Team, Seasonal Educators, Seasonal Livestock Team, and Volunteers in the implementation of all aspects of whole-farm operations. The Coverdale Farm Apprentice plays a key role in our work, bringing applicable knowledge and passion to achieve our vision of building an economically robust enterprise that models farming with environmental integrity.
- Assists Vegetable Production Team in all aspects of annual production plan implementation by completing daily and weekly work lists associated with vegetable production. Scope of this work will include but is not limited to seed propagation, soil maintenance, crop maintenance, planting/cultivation, irrigation management, pest/plant disease control, harvesting/washing/packing of produce, distribution, general upkeep of vegetable production spaces, on-site sales/customer engagement, etc.
- Assists Livestock Production Team in all aspects of animal husbandry tasks and adaptive grazing management plan implementation by completing daily and weekly work tasks associated with livestock production. Scope of this work will include but is not limited to general care of chickens, turkeys, cows, goats, and sheep, movement of livestock structures/materials, veterinary appointments, general maintenance of all livestock facilities/pastures, feed management, egg processing/packaging, turkey harvest and distribution, etc.
- Supports and participates in farm-based community engagement activities such as weekend Pick-Your-Own project, education programs, farmer training workshops, farm tours, and special events.
- Supports and participates in weekend on-farm retail market activities including farm product set-up and clean-up, customer engagement, and Market Team education.
- Promotes & supports DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Post high school work in relevant field preferred.
- Interest in and passion for regenerative agriculture including plant production, animal husbandry and production, customer service, and/or environmental/farm-based education.
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with friendly attitude.
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively.
- Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, decision-making skills, working as part of a team.
- Excellent public relations and communication skills with ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages.
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment.
- Clean driving record with a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- 18 years of age or older.
Salary and Benefits
Hourly range – $14-$16 / hr. Limited on-site housing, as availability permits. This position ends on December 8, 2024
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)