Opportunity Type: 12-week, Full-Time, Hourly
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Delaware River Watershed Fellow will serve as an ambassador of DelNature and the Delaware River watershed by engaging Wilmington Communities on the trails and in parks. The Fellow will emphasize the importance of caring for our local rivers and creeks and help DelNature better reach new audiences and audiences of color in Wilmington. The Fellow will assist with the Trail Ambassador program, an environmentally-focused youth development program for teens that provides watershed education, leadership development, community engagement, and career exploration.
The Delaware River Watershed Fellow will spend much of their time in the neighborhood of Southbridge and on the Wilmington Riverfront.
Delaware River Watershed Fellowship Background
DelNature is a member of the Alliance for Watershed Education (AWE), a network of 23 environmental education centers focused on community building and stewardship of the Delaware River Watershed. The Alliance, now in its fifth season, is again seeking to hire young people at each center for a 12-week summer fellowship designed to advance their collective impact of improving water quality across the watershed.
- Participate in a 3-day supportive watershed stewardship training (In-person or virtual TBD, June 16-18).
- Attend two workday regional meetings, submit weekly logs and participate in training webinars.
- Greet visitors and teach the public about the natural and cultural history of the Christina River Watershed at DEEC.
- Interact with the Wilmington community through a roving nature cart, providing hands-on environmental education activities, talking with trail users about their outdoor experiences, and promoting upcoming DelNature events.
- Support the Watershed Education Coordinator with Trail Ambassador program activities at DEEC, community centers, and in local parks.
- Assist with summer camp activities, social media, and daily office tasks as needed.
- Wilmington resident preferred.
- Must have an interest in the environment and working in the outdoors.
- Should have good oral and written communication skills; experience using social media is a plus.
- Comfortable interacting with the general public and ability to professionally represent DelNature and the Alliance for Watershed Education.
- Must have a positive, team-focused attitude, work well with others, and be willing to learn new things.
- Ability to ride a bicycle along the 2-mile paved Wilmington Riverfront and associated trails.
- Willingness to learn kayaking and/or canoeing.
- Must be able to get to and from work.
- DelNature is dedicated to building a culturally-diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women.
- Be age 18+ by June 7, 2021 start date.
- Be available to work June 7 – August 27, 2021, 35-40 per week, may include some weekends and evenings.
Salary and Benefits
This position pays $15/hr. Fellows will serve 35-40 hrs. /week for 12 weeks.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter