DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC)
A unique opportunity to learn about and enjoy nature
in an urban setting
The Delaware Nature Society operates the DuPont Environmental Education Center in Wilmington, showcasing where the city, river, and marsh meet. The center, which is owned by the Riverfront Development Corporation is on the edge of the 212-acre Russell W. Peterson Urban Wildlife Refuge that adjoins the tidal Christina River.
The facility is open to the public year-round and features indoor and outdoor exhibits on water related natural and cultural history topics and a boardwalk that extends into the marsh.
: Reaching the Urban Community, Educating Underserved Youth, Affordable Programming, Wildlife Conservation.
............................................The DuPont Environmental Education Center is using a TRAFx Counter to assess site and trail usage. To learn more about TRAFx counters please visit www.trafx.net
Help Keep Electronics out of Landfills!
Keep electronics out of landfills. Just visit the Sycamore International
and register what you want to recycle. Bring those electronic items to DEEC during open hours and place them in the electronics recycling box. And, that's it!
Did you know?
- Nearly 83% of all the energy consumed by a computer in its useful life is expended during its production - Low Tech Magazine.
- CRT Monitors contain 4 - 7 lbs of lead - To protect humans and the environment they should be recycled properly as lead can damage the nervous system, kidneys and blood.
- E-waste represents 2% of trash input into America's landfills but accounts for 70% of the overall toxic waste - dated to 2009.
- It is energy efficient to refurbish old computers, but only 2% of PCs are used by a second user as of 2010.
- The EPA calculates only 25% of the 2.37 million tons of e-waste was disposed of properly in 2009.
1400 Delmarva Lane
Wilmington, DE 19801
Building Hours of Operation
Through November 4, 2012:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11 am - 5 pm
Sunday: 12 pm - 4 pm
November 5 - February 28, 2013:
Tuesday - Saturday: 10 am - 3 pm
Sunday: 12 pm - 4 pm
Closed: November 24, December 24, 25, January 1, 2013
Free to individuals and families
Groups by reservation only
Outside Areas Hours of Operation
(Gardens and Boardwalk):
Open Daily Dawn to Dusk
(302) 656 - 1490
Directions & GPS Coordinates
Map & Current Weather
Other DNS Facilities
Ashland Nature Center
Coverdale Farm Preserve