Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
John Harrod1400 Delmarva Lane
Wilmington, DE 19801
Opportunity Type: Full Time, Exempt
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
A community ambassador of DelNature, the Youth Development Coordinator engages Wilmington communities. They work to emphasize the importance of caring for the outdoors while helping DelNature better reach audiences of color in Wilmington. The coordinator does this while designing and conducting activities to help address local environmental and social justice issues. They oversee DelNature’s Wilmington youth development programs, including Trail Ambassadors a RENEW teen program that provides watershed education, leadership development, community engagement, and career exploration. The coordinator designs and delivers programs for the public and community, and conducts site-based social media and marketing. This position reports to DuPont Environmental Education Center’s Site Director.
Schedule is Monday – Friday, including some evenings and weekends.
- Develop, plan, prepare, and deliver the Trail Ambassador program and a peer-to-peer network postsecondary exploration program. Collaborate with community partners to develop programs.
- Coordinate and run the Watershed Fellowship program for DelNature including supervising the fellow(s) and collaborating with Alliance for Watershed Education trainings and activities.
- Participate in community learning including attending community meetings and events.
- Design and lead interactive nature-related programs for the public including trail and water-based activities.
- Participate in data collection and evaluation of programs.
- Conduct site-based social media and outreach including newsletters and flyers.
- Assist with site’s field trips and related programs.
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are always implemented.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of DelNature.
- Experience creating, developing, and delivering youth development programs.
- Familiarity with social media. Familiarity with or willing to learn Canva, Constant Contact, and similar programs.
- Excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages in a positive, professional manner.
- Must have a team-focused attitude, flexible mindset, and dependability.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others. Willing to learn outdoor recreation skills (canoeing/kayaking, biking, hiking, camping)
- Environmental science background not required.
- Valid Driver’s License
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Eligible for full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- Delaware Nature Society employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume (preferred, but not required)