Opportunity Type: Full-time
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Year-long Education Internship is a full time, one-year term contract assignment primarily located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. Year-long Education Interns (Interns) support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children and adults from a broad range of audiences including schools, scouts, community organizations, and the general public. Interns assist with promotion of DelNature’s mission and goals through publicity and event support, plan and implement an independent project, promote DelNature membership, and provide information necessary for securing funding sources.
– Co-lead and provide other support for DelNature summer camp programming
– Teach field study, overnight and outreach lessons for school students
– Assist with program preparation and care and maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
– Provide primary care and feeding for collection of live animals used in education programming including reptiles, amphibians and arthropods
– Assist with coordination of activities organized with public and private school teachers and with revision/development of new education programs for school and other groups
– Support and participate in instructor training workshops and events
– Teach education programs as needed during group overnight, field study and outreach programs and seasonal programs for family and youth audiences
– Assist with DelNature special events and activities including Harvest Moon Festival, Native Plant Sale, and others
– Bachelor’s degree in science, education, recreation or related field
– Teaching experience or experience working with children
– Natural sciences knowledge
– Public relations/communication skills
– Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
– Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
– Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
– Computer skills
– Own transportation