Opportunity Type: Seasonal, Part-time, 30-40 hrs/week
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Winter Farm Assistant aids in all aspects of our Vegetable Production enterprise during the winter months. We use season-extension techniques to grow produce through the entirety of the winter in our two heated greenhouses and three unheated high-tunnels. The Winter Farm Assistant will work in all aspects of Vegetable Production from seeding and plant propagation to harvest and delivery. The Winter Farm Assistant plays a key role in our work, bringing applicable knowledge and passion to achieve our vision of building an economically robust enterprise that models farming with environmental integrity.
This position reports to the Vegetable Production Manager.
- Assist Vegetable Production Manager in all aspects of Vegetable Production plan implementation.
- Engage in the completion of daily and weekly work lists associated with vegetable production.
Scope of this work will include but is not limited to:
- Seed starting and plant propagation
- Soil and crop maintenance
- Irrigation management
- Pest/plant disease control
- Harvesting/washing/packing of produce
- Delivery of produce to clients
- Maintenance and upkeep of tools
- Cleaning and upkeep of vegetable harvesting supplies
- General upkeep of vegetable production areas
- Assist with winter cleaning projects such as organizing tool shed, cleaning debris from fence line, etc.
- Assist in prepping farm for spring plantings.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Interest in regenerative agriculture methods.
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with a friendly attitude.
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively.
- Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, decision-making skills, and working as part of a team.
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment.
- Clean driving record with a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- 18 years of age or older.
Position runs December 1 through February 29.
Salary and Benefits
Pay is $13-$15 per hour.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)