Opportunity Type: Year-round, Part-Time
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Visitor Service Associates are warm, friendly, and professional people who provide information to engage visitors at Ashland Nature Center’s Visitor Center. This position ensures a positive experience for visitors and program participants.
Tasks include greeting visitors, interpreting environmental and cultural history for adults, children, and families, answering phones, and assisting with visitor programs and general operations. Visitor Service Associates promotes membership and involvement with DelNature.
Time commitment is variable – weekend and weekday schedule as available.
- Greet visitors and interpret the natural and cultural history of the site.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, membership, and opportunities to a wide array of program audiences.
- Hand out brochures and provide information about the organization and various program offerings.
- Manage situations that arise at the site and contact leadership staff as needed.
- Open and close (and secure) the building as needed.
- Answer phone calls, relay messages, and other clerical support functions.
- Perform database data entry functions through database platform.
- Maintain cleanliness/organization of the visitor services area.
- Replenish brochures.
- Process mail.
- Sell merchandise as available. Collect trail fees from non-members.
- Assist user/rental groups as needed.
- Record visitation.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor or leadership team member.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site.
- Friendly, welcoming, and enjoys interacting with the public.
- Basic knowledge of the environment is helpful, but not required. An eagerness to learn is!
- Punctuality, dependability, effective communication skills and ability to work effectively as a part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrated ability of problem-solving, critical thinking and decision-making.
- Basic computer skills required with the ability to learn new software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate – $15/hour based on knowledge, certifications, and experience. 25 hours/week.
Applicants Must Submit
- Delaware Nature Society employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 Professional References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)