Opportunity Type: Part-Time, Hourly
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
Under the supervision of the Watershed Education Coordinator, Trail Ambassadors are responsible for engaging the Wilmington community through educational activities, utilizing Southbridge parks and community centers, DEEC, and the Wilmington Riverfront. As ambassadors to their community, they introduce people to their local outdoors including trails, waterways, and environmental center. They attend weekly professional and life skills trainings, trips, teach educational programs to younger youth, and complete community service projects.
Trail Ambassadors Program
Trail Ambassadors is a paid, year-long environmentally focused work program for youth, ages 14-17. The program provides hands-on outdoor work experience, career exploration, leadership development, community outreach, and exposure to environmental advocacy. Delaware Nature Society is dedicated to building a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women. All are welcome to apply; priority will be given to applicants who live in Wilmington. Contact Dakin to learn more.
- Engage the Wilmington community, talk with trail users in and around the Riverfront and community parks, lead interactive activities, and provide resources such as maps and flyers.
- Greet visitors and interpret the natural and cultural history of the Delaware River Watershed in the nature center.
- Lead or assist with environmental education programming at DEEC and in the community.
- Attend community events such as civic meetings and festivals.
- Complete two community service projects; one group project in the summer and one individual project during the school year.
- Attend weekly trainings to learn personal and professional life skills such as advocacy, financial literacy, communication, and watershed education.
- Participate in learning activities and excursions designed to increase watershed education and leadership skills.
- Participate in after-school programming from September 2020 – May 2021.
- Keep a reflective journal, describing experiences and activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Willingness to work in the outdoors and interest in learning outdoors topics.
- Have a team-focused and positive attitude; willing to learn and try new things.
- Responsible, dependable, and flexible.
- Ability to work through and solve challenges; patience with challenging situations.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- Able to lead walks through varied terrain; willingness to learn kayaking and canoeing.
- Able or willing to learn to ride a bicycle along the Markell Trail, Wilmington Riverfront, and in the Southbridge community.
- Must be able to get to and from work; bus passes provided upon request.
- Age 14-17 by June 1, 2020 start date.
- Must be able to work Monday – Friday, 10am-3pm from June – August 2020.
- Must be able to work during after school hours from September 2020 – May 2021.
Interviews: May 4, 2020 – May 15, 2020
Salary and Benefits
This position pays $10/hour. Trail Ambassadors will serve 25 hours/week from June – August 2020 and 20 hours/month from September 2020 – May 2021.
Applicants Must Submit
- Fill out and send the Trail Ambassadors Application