Opportunity Type: Part-Time Position
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Teacher Naturalists assist in delivery of environmental, agricultural and cultural education lessons for children, adults and families from schools, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, community and recreation centers, faith-based groups, professional organizations, other groups, and the general public. Lessons may include field studies, outreach, overnights and extended days, seasonal programs, summer camps, or other activities and may be held inside or outdoors in all weather conditions. Scheduling is highly flexible and can include weekdays, weekends, daytime or evening hours throughout the year. There is no minimum hour requirement and hours will vary seasonally. Training is provided.
- Teach environmental, farm-based agro-ecology, and cultural/historical education lessons
- Assist with program preparation and clean-up and with care and handling of program materials and equipment
- Attend appropriate instructor-training workshops
- Promote DelNature’s mission, goals, activities, events, and membership
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Natural sciences knowledge
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site