Opportunity Type: Part-Time Position
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
Teacher Naturalists assist in delivery of environmental, agricultural and cultural education lessons for children, adults and families from schools, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, community and recreation centers, faith-based groups, professional organizations, other groups, and the general public. Lessons may include field studies, outreach, overnights and extended days, seasonal programs, summer camps, or other activities and may be held inside or outdoors in all weather conditions. Scheduling is highly flexible and can include weekdays, weekends, daytime or evening hours throughout the year. There is no minimum hour requirement and hours will vary seasonally. Training is provided.
- Teach environmental, farm-based agro-ecology, and cultural/historical education lessons
- Assist with program preparation and clean-up and with care and handling of program materials and equipment
- Attend appropriate instructor-training workshops
- Promote DelNature’s mission, goals, activities, events, and membership
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Natural sciences knowledge
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site