Opportunity Type: 12 week term contract
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Summer Outreach Internship is a 12-week paid internship program at DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC) in Wilmington, Delaware. DEEC welcomes thousands of guests throughout the year. Delaware Nature Society’s goal is to interact with these visitors and introduce them to DelNature, the site’s nature and wildlife, and the menu of programs and activities available to them. The Summer Outreach intern primarily supports the effective delivery of summer educational lessons and activities. Summer educational programming includes group field studies, summer camp, and outdoor engagement activities with local Wilmington youth (RENEW Program). The intern will also work throughout the summer on an environmental education capstone project.
- Supports the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities both on- and off-site
- Assists in the facilitation of outreach programs to engage Wilmington youth
- Interacts with Wilmington community through on-site engagement and local outreach
- Greets and interacts with visitors to the site
- Completes an environmental education capstone project
- Participates in instructor training events and activities
- Assists with other projects, programs, and duties as needed
- Passion for the outdoors, enthusiasm for environmental awareness, and excitement for outdoor recreation
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ)
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn social media marketing
- Ability to or the willingness to learn how to ride a bike, kayak and/or canoe
- Reliable transportation – must be able to get to/from outreaches and transport materials
- 18 years of age or older
Dates: June 3, 2024 – August 23, 2024.
Some virtual trainings may occur before the start of the internship.
Salary and Benefits
Pay is set at $15/hour. Interns work full-time for 12-weeks.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter (preferred, but not required)
- Resume (preferred, but not required)
- 3 Professional References