Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Hourly, Non-Exempt, 11-week
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
DelNature requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination (copy of vaccination card) is required prior to hiring. Applicants unable to vaccinate must submit a medical exemption (note) from their doctor, will need to test every 7 days, and will submit their test results to their supervisor. Based on CDC guidelines, currently, the booster shot is not required to be fully vaccinated.
The Summer Education Internship is an 11-week paid internship program at DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC) in Wilmington, Delaware. DEEC welcomes thousands of guests throughout the year. DelNature’s goal is to interact with these visitors and introduce them to DelNature, DEEC’s nature and wildlife, and the menu of programs and activities available to them. The Summer Education intern primarily supports the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5 to 12 during week-long Summer Camp programs. This position reports to the DEEC Education Coordinator, Ashley Dussault. Hours are Monday – Friday, may include some evenings and weekends.
- Supports the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5 to 12 during week-long Summer Camp programs
- Assists in the teaching and preparation of summer environmental education programs for all ages
- Greets and interacts with visitors to the site
- Participates in instructor training events and activities
- Assists with other projects, programs, and duties as needed
Training and resources are provided to gain knowledge in environmental science topics related to the site and region. Interns attend summer camp instructor training, which includes canoe training and CPR/First Aid certification. Training consists of formal all-staff events, one-on-one mentoring, and the opportunity to work alongside many different educators with different teaching styles and skill sets.
- Passion for the outdoors, enthusiasm for environmental awareness, and excitement for outdoor recreation
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with or willingness to learn social media marketing
- Valid Driver’s License
- 19 years of age or older
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Highlights of the Summer Education Intern Experience
- Working with supportive, experienced, and knowledgeable staff
- Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Participating in outdoor recreation activities such as canoeing, kayaking, hiking, photography, and many other exciting adventures
- Exploring the preserves managed by DelNature
Dates: June 6th, 2022 – August 19th, 2022.
Salary and Benefits
Pay is set at $11.50/hour. Interns work full-time for 11-weeks.
Applicants Must Submit
2022 Position has been filled. Check back in Spring 2023.
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter (preferred, but not required)
- Resume (preferred, but not required)
- Professional References