Opportunity Type: 11-week Term Contract
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Summer Education Internship is a 11-week term contract assignment located at Delaware Nature Society’s Coverdale Farm Preserve in Greenville, Delaware. The Summer Education Intern supports the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5-12 years old during week-long summer camp programs. They are responsible for the well-being and safety of campers, as well as for creating a safe, fun, and rewarding environment for them. Interns participate in 1 week of training and rotate through various summer camp duties. Interns will have the opportunity to develop and lead programs. Summer Camp runs weekly from June 14th – August 27th and the camp day lasts from 8 am – 3 pm.
- Support summer camp instructors with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of summer camp programming.
- Assist with daily camp programs; preparation, implementation and clean up; care for and maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools.
- Participate in training events and activities
- Help maintain a safe, clean, teaching environment and campus for camp
- Assist coordinator with all aspects of preparing, implementing and maintaining a clean and safe environment for camp
- Communicate teaching team and children
- Current student enrolled in college/university program pursuing a degree in environmental, agriculture, wildlife, recreation or education related field
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to interact in a positive and professional manner at all times
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the program participants and site
- Comfortable working around farm animals
- Punctuality and dependability
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others
- Ability to work outside for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Valid Driver’s License
- 21 years of age or older
Salary and Benefits
Summer Education Interns are paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 11-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References