Opportunity Type: Full-Time, 11-Week Position
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Delaware Nature Society aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Summer Education Internship is a full time, 12-week term contract assignment primarily located at Delaware Nature Society’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. Summer Education Interns (Interns) support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5 to 15 during week-long summer camp programs. Interns participate in 1 week of training and assist with organizing and teaching 11 weeks of summer camp programs, each week with a different theme and schedule of activities.
Highlights of the Intern Experience:
- Working with supportive, experienced and knowledgeable staff
Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Assisting with outdoor recreation activities such as canoeing, kayaking, camping,
hiking, fishing, photography, and many other exciting adventures
- Exploring the many preserves managed by Delaware Nature Society
- Receive training in environmental education teaching techniques, behavior
management strategies, outdoor leadership, team building, first aid/CPR, canoe
and water safety, archery, and other outdoor recreation training as needed.
- Receive training on animal handling for animal collections at Ashland and DEEC,
and basic training in farm animal use in programs at Coverdale Farm.
The Summer Education Intern position is primarily based at Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin Delaware, however, day camps frequently travel offsite in DNS vans for activities and some camp programs are based at other Delaware Nature Society locations and sites throughout the region including but not limited to;
- Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville DE 19807
- DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington DE 19801
Ashland Nature Center is located at 3511 Barley Mill Road, Hockessin DE 19707 and is:
- 7 miles northwest of Wilmington, DE
- 35 miles southwest of Philadelphia, PA
- 70 miles northeast of Baltimore, MD
- Support summer camp instructors with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of
summer camp programming
- Assist with daily camp program preparation and clean up, and with care and
maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
- Support and participate in instructor training events and activities
- Co-lead early morning care and/or afternoon extended care as needed during
the course of the summer
- Assist with overnight campout or extended day events as needed
- Current student enrolled in college/university program pursuing a degree in environmental, wildlife, recreation or education related field
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Public relations/communication skills
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Valid Drivers License
Salary and Benefits
Summer Education Interns are paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 12-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld. In addition to compensation, interns may utilize shared DNS housing including utilities in the Ashland Nature Center farmhouse if needed and available.
The Ashland Farmhouse is fully furnished and includes 3 private bedrooms, 1 and ½ shared bathrooms, common kitchen with appliances/utensils, dining room, living room, and screened in front porch.