Opportunity Type: Full-Time, 11-Week Position
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Wilmington, Delaware. DEEC welcomes thousands of guests throughout the year. It is the goal of the Delaware Nature Society to interact with these visitors and introduce them to DNS, the site and the menu of programs and activities available to them.
- Assist in the teaching and preparation of summer environmental programs for children and adults at DEEC.
- Greet visitors.
- Lead or co-lead a variety of programs focusing on nature and environment resources in environmental science.
- Utilize training and resources to gain knowledge in environmental science topics related to the site and region.
- Attend instructor-training workshops and develop an independent project based on individual interests and the needs of the organization.
- Training also includes both formal all-staff events and one-on-one observations, as well as trips to local nature centers, waterways, or natural lands.
- Work about 30 hours per week. Individual schedules are somewhat flexible and set with the Education Coordinator. Expect to work Monday-Friday with occasional evening and weekend hours.
The internship program at the DNS requires an individual with passion for the outdoors, enthusiasm for working with people, a high level of initiative, ability to work independently and as a team, and flexibility to adjust to changing priorities in a fast paced environment. DNS is dedicated to building a culturally diverse organization and strongly encourages applications from minorities and women.
Internship runs from June 3 – August 9, 2019.
Salary and Benefits
Wage is $10.00/hr plus opportunity to attend local exploration field trips.