Opportunity Type: Full-Time, 10-week
Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, Milford, DE
DelNature has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Summer Education Internship is a full time, 10-week term contract assignment primarily located at Delaware Nature Society’s Abbott’s Mill Nature Center in Milford, Delaware. Summer Education Interns (Interns) support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 5 – 15 during weekday school/group programs & ages 9 – 12 during week-long summer camp programs. Interns participate in training and assist with organizing and teaching 8 weeks of school/group programs and 2 weeks of summer camp programs.
Highlights of the Intern Experience
- Working with supportive, experienced and knowledgeable staff
- Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Assisting with outdoor recreation activities such as canoeing, kayaking, camping, hiking, fishing, photography, and many other exciting adventures
- Exploring the many preserves managed by Delaware Nature Society
- Receive training in environmental education teaching techniques, behavior
management strategies, outdoor leadership, team building, first aid/CPR, canoe and water safety, and other outdoor recreation training as needed.
- Support school/group/summer camp instructors with all aspects of programming
- Assist with daily school/group/camp program preparation and clean up, and with care and
maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
- Support and participate in instructor training events and activities
- Some travel in personal vehicle may be required, with mileage reimbursement provided
- Assist with live animal care as needed
- Assist with land/trail management projects as needed
- Assist with other projects, programs, & duties as needed (independent projects encouraged)
- Current student enrolled in college/university program pursuing a degree in environmental, wildlife, recreation or education related field
- Teaching experience or experience working with children
- Public relations/communication skills
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Valid Driver’s License
Salary and Benefits
Summer Education Interns are paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 10-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld. Some travel in personal vehicle may be required for programming, with mileage reimbursement provided.