Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Erynn DeGennaroPO Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
Summer Education Internship – Ashland & Coverdale
Opportunity Type: 12-week Term Contract
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Seasonal Education Internship is a 12-week term contract assignment located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center or Coverdale Farm Preserve. Education Interns (Interns) support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 3 to 15 during week-long summer camp programs. Interns participate in 1 week of training and rotate through various summer camp duties. Duties include assisting with or leading camps for ages 3 – 15, leading extended care activities, and caring for DelNature’s collection of educational animals. Interns will have the opportunity to develop and lead activities as well as assist with programs.
- Support summer camp with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of summer camp programming
- Assist with daily camp program preparation and clean up, and with care and maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
- Support and participate in instructor training events and activities
- Co-lead early morning care and/or afternoon extended care as needed over the course of the summer
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are implemented, and always enforced.
- Assist with other camp duties such as sign in and sign out process.
- Promote & support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences.
Summer Education Internship Locations
Summer Education Interns will be placed at one of the following DelNature sites:
– Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE 19707
– Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE 19807
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society.
- Outdoor recreation, cooking, or farm skills and experience preferred
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages.
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 18 years of age or older
Highlights of the Summer Education Intern Experience
- Working with supportive, experienced and knowledgeable staff
- Being outdoors and teaching children
- Gaining practical professional experience in environmental education
- Assisting with outdoor recreation and farm activities such as canoeing, kayaking, hiking, fishing, photography, cooking and many other exciting adventures
- Exploring the many preserves managed by DelNature
- Receiving training in environmental education teaching techniques, behavior management strategies, outdoor leadership, team building, first aid/CPR, canoe and water safety, archery, and other outdoor recreation training as needed.
- Receiving training on animal handling for animal collections at Ashland Nature Center, and basic training in farm animal use in programs at Coverdale Farm Preserve.
Salary and Benefits
Summer Education Interns are paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 12-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld. Interns may utilize shared DelNature housing including utilities if needed and available.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References