Opportunity Type: full time, 8-week term contract assignment
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
DelNature requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination (copy of vaccination card) is required prior to hiring. Applicants unable to vaccinate must submit a medical exemption (note) from their doctor, will need to test every 7 days, and will submit their test results to their supervisor. Based on CDC guidelines, currently, the booster shot is not required to be fully vaccinated.
The Summer Camp Nurse position is a full time, 8-week term contract assignment primarily located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. DelNature is seeking a child-friendly nurse (R.N. or Nurse practitioner) to join our summer camp team. DelNature summer camp caters to a fantastic group of children aged 3 – 17. Responsibilities include: assessing and treating injuries, organizing daily sick calls, dispensing daily meds, and responding to medical emergencies.
The Summer Camp Nurse position is primarily based at Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin Delaware, however, some camp programs are based at other DelNature locations and sites throughout the region including but not limited to:
- Oversee daily medical management
- Administer CPR and First Aid
- Help oversee camp activities and evaluate for safety
- Support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 3 to 15
- Support social emotional needs of campers such as homesickness
- Set up the camp health center
- Inventory and order all necessary medical supplies and equipment
- Ensure supplies are well stocked and distribute as needed
- Perform and oversee camper health screenings and train other staff to assist with screenings
- Deliver or support First Aid, CPR, AED and other health and safety trainings for camp staff as needed
- Ability to work with children aged 3-17 and experience working with children
- A current license (RN) is a prerequisite
- Public relations/communication skills
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Prior experience (preferably pediatric) is always preferred but warmth, patience, and the ability to communicate effectively with campers, staff and parents are all crucial
- Must carry malpractice insurance by the start of camp: 7/6/2020
Salary and Benefits
The Summer Camp Nurse will be paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 8-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld. Camp Nurse may utilize shared DelNature housing including utilities in the Ashland Nature Center farmhouse if needed and available.
The Ashland Farmhouse is fully furnished and includes 3 private bedrooms, 1 and ½ shared bathrooms, common kitchen with appliances/utensils, dining room, living room, and screened in front porch.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References