Opportunity Type: Part-time, Hourly, Non-exempt, 1-3 weeks btwn Jun 14 - Aug 27
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Summer Camp Instructor is responsible for creating, planning, scheduling, preparing, and delivering activities that are developmentally appropriate, fun, engaging, educational, and interactive based on a pre-determined week long theme. Activities should have an emphasis on the environment, nature, science, the outdoors and/or agriculture while incorporating DelNature’s core values of Respect, Stewardship, Collaboration, Inclusion, and Integrity.
This position will meet with the Site Coordinator and members of the education team to ensure we are providing a high-quality camp and plans align with the Delaware Nature Society’s Mission. They are responsible for creating a safe, fun, and rewarding environment for the campers, counselors, interns, and other participants. Instructors are responsible for sending out a pre-camp letter and maintaining open communications with parents/families throughout the week.
There are several required trainings at the beginning of June, prior to the start of camp season, that this position will need to attend.
Summer Camp runs weekly from June 14 – August 27 and campers range in age between 3-15 years of age. The commitment for this position is 1-3 weeks based on need and applicant’s availability. The weeks and themes of camps will be managed by the Site Coordinator.
The Summer Camp Instructor reports to: Education/Site Coordinator
- Develop, plan, prepare and deliver organized outdoor/indoor activities, for a week long summer camp, that are developmentally appropriate, engaging, fun, safe and incorporate the core values.
- Meet with coordinator and education team to ensure all activities meet program standards and quality.
- Complete lesson plans and submit for review as needed.
- Communicate with parents through pre-camp parent letter and during camp.
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are implemented, and always enforced.
- Responsible for camp program preparation and clean-up including care in handling program materials and equipment.
- Attend camp and safety trainings.
- Assist with other camp duties such as sign in and sign out process.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society.
- Experience creating, developing, preparing, and delivering programming for groups of children.
- Teaching experience or experience working with children in a non-traditional setting.
- Degree (or pursuing a degree) in a field pertaining to the environment, agriculture, science, wildlife, or education preferred, but not required.
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages.
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors under variable weather conditions and terrain.
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping).
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- 21 years of age or older.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate – $9.25- $13/hr. based on education and experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References