Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Erynn DeGennaroPO Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
Summer Camp Counselor
Opportunity Type: Seasonal, Hourly
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Summer Camp Counselor position is a minimum 6-week, maximum 12-week term contract assignment. Summer Camp Counselors (Counselors) support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 3 to 12 during week-long summer camp programs. Counselors participate in staff training and rotate through various summer camp duties. Duties include assisting with 3-12 y/o camps and programs, assisting with extended care activities, and leading summer camp activities. Summer Camp Training will be held a few evenings and weekend days starting at the beginning of June. Summer camps begin Monday, June 12th, and continue until Friday, August 25th.
- Support summer camp instructors with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of summer camp programming
- Assist with daily camp program preparation and clean up, and with care and maintenance of education materials, equipment, and teaching tools
- Support and participate in staff training events and activities
- Co-lead early morning care and/or afternoon extended care as needed during the course of the summer
- Assist with extended day events as needed
- With guidance, develop, plan, prepare and deliver various outdoor/indoor activities, for summer camp, that are developmentally appropriate, engaging, fun, safe and incorporate the core values.
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are implemented, and always enforced.
- Assist with other camp duties such as sign in and sign out process.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society.
- Outdoor recreation or farm skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping).
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions.
- Experience or passion for working with children
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- 16 years of age or older.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Summer Camp Training will be held starting at the beginning of June. Summer camps begin Monday, June 12th, and continue until Friday, August 25th.
Salary and Benefits
Summer Camp Counselors are paid hourly for the seasonal position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld. Starting hourly rate – $11.75
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter (Optional)
- Current Resume
- 3 References (1 family member, and 2 past employer or professional references) Note: if you have not had a job, please indicate teacher, coach, adult leader, neighbor