Opportunity Type: Full-time, Seasonal
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
DelNature requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination (copy of vaccination card) is required prior to hiring. Applicants unable to vaccinate must submit a medical exemption (note) from their doctor, will need to test every 7 days, and will submit their test results to their supervisor. Based on CDC guidelines, currently, the booster shot is not required to be fully vaccinated.
The Summer Camp Coordinator position is a full time, 3 month term assignment located at DelNature’s Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. This position provides leadership, management, and coordination for Ashland Nature Center’s Summer Camp. The position consists of the following primary duties. Coordinating staff in day-to-day summer camp programs and training week. Support the effective delivery of educational lessons and activities for children ages 3 to 15 during week-long summer camp programs.
- Support summer camp staff with all aspects of camp during eleven weeks of summer camp programming
- Provide a safe and warm environment to facilitate the social and emotional health and growth of campers
- Oversee the daily operation of camp including activity program, van trips, and camper and staff supervision
- Lead by example and effectively manage a staff of about 50 employees, paid and volunteer
- Initiate and respond to communication with camp families
- Assess camper adjustment, experience and program throughout the camp season
- Provide supervision and ongoing training to staff through evaluation of staff performance, monitoring of well-being, and provision of constructive feedback and support on a regular basis
- Help execute preseason maintenance, opening physical camp, and staff orientation and training prior to the beginning of the camper season
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are implemented, and always enforced
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences
- Coordinate Counselors and Jr. Counselors in day-to-day summer camp programs and training week
- Engage and encourage Counselors and Jr. Counselors to be leaders and role models for the campers
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Valid Driver’s License
- Teaching experience or experience working with children in a non-traditional setting
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team
- 21 years of age or older
- Experience in the area of customer service and youth programming
- This position requires strong organizational, communication, and supervision skills
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience preferred (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
Salary and Benefits
The Summer Camp Coordinator is paid hourly (pay rate dependent on qualifications) for the 12-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld.
Starting hourly rate – $15-$18 dependent on qualifications
May utilize shared DelNature housing including utilities in the Ashland Nature Center Farmhouse if needed and available. The Ashland Farmhouse is fully furnished and includes 3 private bedrooms, 1 and ½ shared bathrooms, common kitchen with appliances/utensils, dining room, living room, and screened in front porch.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References