Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Erynn DeGennaroPO Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
Summer Camp Activity Specialist
Opportunity Type: Part-Time Position
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Summer Camp Activity Specialists deliver basic level curriculum-based hands-on environmental, agricultural, and/or cultural education lessons incorporating our core values of Respect, Stewardship, Collaboration, Inclusion, and Integrity. Student ages range from 3 to 15. Activities take place at Ashland Nature Center and Coverdale Farms Preserve camps. Activities are chosen based on Specialist interest and expertise and may include subjects such as: cooking, arts & crafts, games, nature exploration, farm chores, and more. Most activities occur rain or shine, except in extreme/unsafe weather conditions, and are conducted both inside and outdoors.
- Teach curriculum-based environmental, natural history, cultural history, science and/or farm-based agriculture/ecology lessons through a variety of methods. Curriculum includes focus on DelNature core values and working in collaboration with Education Coordinators & fellow summer camp staff
- Continue to develop program delivery skills and knowledge of program topics and curriculum.
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures and health and safety protocols are implemented and always enforced.
- Assist with program preparation & clean-up, care & handling of program equipment/materials, care & transportation of live animals in collaboration with fellow site-based Education Coordinators & Teacher Naturalists.
- Attend and participate in required training sessions and voluntary enrichment sessions.
- Maintain regular communication with site-based Education Coordinators & Leadership Staff to ensure best practices, program schedules, trainings, etc.
- Promote & support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- An interest in working with groups of children or adults. Experience in delivering programs and prior teaching experience helpful but not required.
- Basic natural sciences knowledge, and/or a willingness to learn more about agriculture, outdoor recreation skills (birding, hiking, camping, gardening) or experience, required based on areas of program delivery assigned
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site.
- Punctuality, dependability, effective communication skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate is $13-$15/hr. based on education and experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 Professional References