Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Special Events Coordinator is responsible for providing leadership and professional expertise in planning and implementing high-quality development events and volunteer events. Working as a team member in the Development, Marketing & External Affairs office, this position is responsible for coordinating a wide range of events and volunteer opportunities which engage, cultivate, solicit and steward DelNature donors, members and supporters.
As the lead coordinator of DelNature Annual events, the Special Events Coordinator serves as the liaison between volunteers and staff for development of, placement in, and follow-up on volunteer assignments. Through their work with the public, both directly and personally through event management and execution, they work to promote our mission to improve the environment through education, conservation and advocacy, with an emphasis on growing membership, volunteerism, donors, and overall financial support in fulfillment of our mission.
Applicants must include a completed DelNature employment application, cover letter, resume, writing samples and three professional references.
- Creates, plans and executes DelNature fundraising events and donor cultivation events.
- Coordinates all pre-and post-event communications and planning, including (but not limited to): development of marketing materials; email correspondence; rental agreements; sponsorship acquisition and fulfillment; communication lists servs; attendee rosters; décor, logistics and layout; proforma and evaluation on event success.
- Acts as the primary point person for communicating pertinent information to the public about the events and corresponds with them in a timely and professional manner.
- Oversees volunteer recruitment and fulfilment for events. Organizes and provides leadership on volunteer recognition (annual event and ongoing) and as needed coordination of volunteer service days at our four sites. Provides letters of recommendations for volunteer service hours as needed or requested.
- Manages and enters all event registrant and volunteer data as needed in Altru database. Supports back of house database management for fulfilment of events including: event registration; table assignments; volunteer hours and assignments; thank you letters to event participants; etc.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills;
- Flexible yet driven by deadlines and fundraising goals;
- Strong skills in technology and willingness to establish and/or learn new systems;
- Experience in managing event budgets, setting timelines, goals and ambitions for achieving them;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Fundraising experience or relevant experience working in events in non-profits is essential;
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills required;
- Excellent interpersonal and aptitude for working in a highly changeable, dynamic, and fast-paced environment;
- Motivated, self-starter able to work independently, while guiding and leading others to ensure deadlines are met and goals are achieved;
- Working on weekends and evenings as needed for the fulfillment of the job is required.
Salary and Benefits
This is a Part-Time (29 Hours/week) position with adaptive schedule needed to fulfill event requirements; salary commensurate with experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References
- Writing samples