Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Ashley Dussault1400 Delmarva Lane
Wilmington, DE 19801
Small Craft / Paddling Trip Leader
Opportunity Type: Seasonal, Non-exempt
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Small Craft / Paddling Trip Leader will lead groups of individuals (children and/or adults) on short paddling trips (kayak and/or canoe) out of the DuPont Environmental Education Center and, possibly, at other paddling sites in Wilmington. The leaders ensures that all safety procedures and policies are followed by the participants and staff and that the weather, environment, and equipment are safe. The leader also engages with the participants providing them with a safe and enjoyable experience.
Small Craft/Paddling Trip Leader position reports to: Paddling Coordinator at the DuPont Environmental Education Center
- Lead kayak and/or canoeing trips for schools/groups or public programs out of the DuPont Environmental Center
- Participate in regular trainings including at time of hire and during the paddling season
- Maintain and enforce a high level of safety with regard to equipment, individuals, the environment and experiences
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society
- Prior experience canoeing and kayaking helpful but not required
- Above average swimming ability required
- Lifeguarding experience a plus
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Teaching experience or experience working with children and adults in a non-traditional setting
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to adapt during changing circumstances, including re-evaluating the needs of participants
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others
- Minimum age of 18 years old
Work Environment and Physical Demands for Small Craft/Paddling Trip Leader
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment
- Ability to swim 50 yards
- The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of outdoor settings, weather, and terrains including the water
Salary and Benefits
Starting rate of $15/hr – $17/hr based on knowledge and experience. This is a seasonal position ending in October. Continued employment in the Spring is possible.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)