Opportunity Type: Full-time, Seasonal
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Full time, 8 month seasonal, term contract assignment based out of Delaware Nature Society Headquarters at Ashland Nature Center in Hockessin, Delaware. The Seasonal Education Internship will teach at all DelNature locations in New Castle County. Interns assist with scheduling, planning, preparation, coordination, and delivery of education programs for school and group audiences, public education programs, events, and summer camps. Provides general care for live animal collection and helps maintain education materials and equipment. Assists with promotion of organization mission and goals through publicity and event support.
- Develop, support, and teach education programs for the general public, school and group audiences including field study, overnight, outreach and public programs at Ashland Nature Center, Coverdale Farm Preserve, DuPont Environmental Education Center, DelNature Preserves, and other locations
- Help with program preparation and care and maintenance of program materials and equipment
- Assist with scheduling and coordination of programs as needed
- Attend camp training and co-lead 11 week-long summer camp programs
- Manage day-to-day care of live animal collection at Ashland Nature Center
- Assist in developing content for DelNature communications/publications
- Provide support for site safety and security at Ashland Nature Center and other functions described in Intern/Staff House Responsibilities and Expectations
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are implemented, and always enforced
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff
- Night, Weekend, and Holiday hours common
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental, wildlife, recreation or education related field or equivalent experience
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Ability to work effectively and productively as part of a team, indoors and outside under variable weather conditions
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization
- Teaching experience or experience working with children in a non-traditional setting
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others
- Valid Driver’s License
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Suite
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by the position start (Based on the current CDC definition)
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate – $10.50
Interns may utilize shared DelNature housing including utilities in the Ashland Nature Center Farmhouse if needed and available. The Ashland Farmhouse is fully furnished and includes 3 private bedrooms, 1 and ½ shared bathrooms, common kitchen with appliances/utensils, dining room, living room, and screened in front porch.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References