Opportunity Type: Full-time
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
DelNature requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination (copy of vaccination card) is required prior to hiring. Applicants unable to vaccinate must submit a medical exemption (note) from their doctor, will need to test every 7 days, and will submit their test results to their supervisor. Based on CDC guidelines, currently, the booster shot is not required to be fully vaccinated.
The School and Groups Program Manager is responsible for the planning and delivery of field studies, outreach, and overnight offerings for School and Group audiences. Responsibilities include registration, staffing, supply management, and quality assurance. Collaborating with the Associate Director of School and Group Programs, support the continual development of offerings ensuring quality and relevance to state standards and audience needs.
This position reports to: Associate Director of School and Group Programs.
- Coordinate scheduling, registration, implementation, and staffing for field studies, outreach, and overnights for DelNature locations.
- Work with Program Registrar on managing financial assistance requests.
- Work with Program Registrar and Office Manager on registration and billing.
- Ensure lesson plans are high-quality, interactive, and up-to-date with state academic standards and badge/award requirements.
- Observe staff and ensure quality program/lesson plan implementation and consistency.
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols (including COVID protocols) are implemented and always enforced.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences.
- Perform other duties as requested by the supervisor or leadership staff.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of DelNature.
- Experience creating, developing, preparing, and delivering programming for groups of children and adults.
- Teaching experience or experience working with children in a non-traditional setting.
- Degree (or pursuing a degree) in a field pertaining to the environment, agriculture, science, wildlife, or education preferred, but not required.
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages.
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors under variable weather conditions and terrain.
- Outdoor recreation skills and experience (canoeing/kayaking, hiking, camping)
- Must possess the following traits and skills: flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 21 years of age or older
- Must be fully vaccinated (up to date) on COVID-19 vaccinations as defined by the CDC.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to ten pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
This is an exempt salary position eligible for full benefits including health, retirement, sick time, vacation days and paid personal time-off.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 Professional References