Opportunity Type: Full-time, Exempt
Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, Milford, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Outreach and Site Director of Abbott’s Mill Nature Center position works to develop and grow relationships and initiatives to elevate DelNature’s presence and impact in Kent and Sussex County, DE. Manages key operations of Abbotts Mill Nature Center (Abbott’s) and leverages site to build partnerships that foster DelNature’s work in conservation, advocacy, and education in the Milford region and beyond. In coordination with local stakeholders and DelNature’s leadership team, furthers initiatives in Southern DE with a lens on projects that address climate change and resiliency, that conserve the regions critical habitat and biodiversity, and which activate people through stewardship and advocacy to protect our natural resources.
Reports to: Director of Education and Operations
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of stakeholders and audiences
- Identify and develop strategic program opportunities working with local and global DelNature program staff
- Build new, and foster existing, downstate partnerships, to increase DelNature and Abbott’s visibility and profile, especially around initiatives and projects that further our strategic advocacy and conservation direction
- Manage key operations of Abbott’s including budgeting and day-to-day supervision of local staff
- Increase revenue and income through increased membership, program participation, events, and through other means
- Manage key relationships with landowners, neighbors, or other stakeholders associated with lands DelNature owns or manages in Kent and Sussex Counties
- Identify and develop funding opportunities, including grants, contracts, and donor prospects
- Grow relationships and initiatives with underserved communities
- Develop and implement strategy, in coordination with DelNature senior leadership, to build our work in advocacy, conservation, and education in southern Delaware
- Coordinate oversight of the property and local staff, working cooperatively with Land and Bio Team and Facility and Grounds Team on site needs and issues
- Serve as liaison with Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs and Division of Fish & Wildlife
- Participate in, and support, organization-wide priorities
- College degree in conservation-related field required; Master’s degree or comparable level and amount of experience preferred
- 3-5 years management/leadership experience; outreach and education experience helpful
- Strong verbal and writing skills, excellent public relations and communication skills
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a passenger van, with/without trailer
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site including day, evening, and weekend responsibilities
- Punctuality, dependability, and ability to work effectively individually or as part of a team
- Effective communication skills and the ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner
- Experience in building and managing grant budgets and contracts and tracking fulfillment of grant/donor deliverables
- Must have a team-focused attitude, flexible mindset, and willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Must pass a background check
Work Environment and Physical Demands for Outreach and Site Director of Abbott’s Mill Nature Center
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and be able to carry, move, and set up necessary supplies and equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Ability to work in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains
Schedule: Mostly professional office hours (M-F) with some nights and weekends, based on season
Salary and Benefits
Outreach and Site Director of Abbott’s Mill starting annual salary is $58,000 – $61,000, plus benefits.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References