Opportunity Type: Full-time, Exempt
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
DelNature requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination (copy of vaccination card) is required prior to hiring. Applicants unable to vaccinate must submit a medical exemption (note) from their doctor, will need to test every 7 days, and will submit their test results to their supervisor. Based on CDC guidelines, currently, the booster shot is not required to be fully vaccinated.
The Membership & Events Manager is responsible for the overall strategy and management of our annual calendar of Events and Membership programs for the Delaware Nature Society. As a member of the Development & Marketing Team, the primary focus of this position is raising money and creating a strong environment to promote membership retention and revenue growth to meet annual fundraising goals for Membership and Events (upwards of $300,000 annually).
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Design, oversee, and effectively implement a membership strategy for procurement, solicitation and stewardship of approximately 2,000 members at the Delaware Nature Society.
- Track and report on Membership revenue and expenses.
- Works with Database Assistant and IT staff on data input and reporting in Altru.
- Analyze and make data-driven decisions using newly-created reports and resulting analysis.
- Identify and encourage innovative and creative approaches for building and growing our membership program, including upgrading members, which will help attribute to increasing annual support.
- Establish and oversee all operations, policies and procedures of the membership department.
- Plan, manage, and lead the planning and execution of our annual events, and work with Delaware Nature Society’s Website & Marketing staff to create and execute all materials and communications related to the event planning and promotion. Develop collateral messaging to members, supporters and prospects. Work collaboratively with the team to develop strong messaging and content that inspires participation and attendance.
- Work with the Visitor Services department to create a strong member experience. Train V/C staff on on-site membership needs, including registration, renewal and benefits.
- Coordinate and manage membership stewardship events and work with the Development team to support the calendar of Guardian events intended to engage and cultivate our major donors.
- Cultivate relationships with existing and new members and engage them as potential donors and lifelong supporters.
- Work with volunteer leadership in fundraising tasks including but not limited to prospect identification, stewardship and solicitation.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- BA degree in Liberal Arts, Communications or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of direct fundraising experience, including direct oversight of membership and/or giving programs. Experience at a cultural or environmental institution a plus.
- Direct experience in planning and executing high-qualify fundraising events and stewardship events.
- Ability to analyze data and make recommendations for acquisitions, upgrade and retention activities and events.
- Measurable track record and demonstrated success in increasing year-over-year income goals attributed to membership and events.
- Understanding of marketing strategies to promote membership and to encourage retention and upgrades.
- Excellent writing, communication and editing ability a must.
- Budget and financial management experience.
- Self-starter and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with donor related database packages required. Altru and/or Raiser’s Edge experience strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- Willingness to learn and become proficient in SGA (accounting software) to manage event and membership related expenses.
- Will be required to complete online alcoholic beverage server training (Delaware Restaurant Association).
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site.
- Punctuality, dependability, effective communication skills and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Perform additional duties at the request of supervisor, site manager or leadership team member.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and be able to carry, move and set up necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to work in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
$45,000 commensurate with experience. Eligible for full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- 2 Writing Samples (including policy statements, grants, and/ or letters to the editor)
- 3 Professional References