Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Opportunity Type: Seasonal, Full-time, Hourly, Apr-Oct
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Market Garden Field Crew plays an important role in our work bringing applicable knowledge and passion to the operation of an intensive organic four-season vegetable production enterprise that exemplifies the synergetic relationship between soil, plant, animal, and consumer. The Market Garden Field Crew is a seasonal, hourly position.
About Coverdale Farm Preserve
We recognize that how we grow food has a profound impact on the environment. Coverdale Farm Preserve’s practices weave together conservation, high quality food, and community. Our vision is to build a healthy and resilient ecosystem, increase biodiversity, contribute to our local/regional food system, train the next generation of farmers, and educate our constituents.
- Assist Market Garden Farmer and Market Garden Farmer Assistant in all aspects of vegetable production plan implementation; engage in the completion of daily and weekly work lists associated with vegetable production. Scope of this work will include but is not limited to seed propagation, soil maintenance, crop maintenance, planting/cultivation, irrigation management, pest/plant disease control harvesting/washing/packing of produce, distribution, general upkeep of all aspects of vegetable production spaces.
- Assist farm team members in the general care of livestock, grounds, and other agricultural tasks as needed
- Support and participate in farm-based community engagement activities such as education programs, farmer training workshops, farm tours, and special events.
Supervisor: Coverdale Farm Preserve Market Garden Farmer
Sources of Collaboration: Farm Manager, Market Garden Farmer Assistant, Farmyard Coordinator, Coverdale Seasonal Farm Crew, Volunteers, Seasonal Education Crew, Facility Manager, Facilities and Grounds Steward, Land Management Department
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Post High School work in relevant field preferred
- 1 – 2 years of relevant experience in diversified, intensive organic four-season vegetable farming at production scale
- Excellent working knowledge of core issues related to intensive organic, regenerative agriculture
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation, maintenance, and repair
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with friendly attitude
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
- Excellent public relations and communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to work outside for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Ability to participate in hard physical labor for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Ability to lift heavy objects and remain physically active throughout the day
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment
- Clean driving record with a valid driver’s license
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References