Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Year-Round, Salaried
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Market Garden Farmer Assistant will coordinate with the Market Garden Farmer and lead the implementation of all aspects of the Vegetable Production plan.
The Market Garden Farmer Assistant plays an important role in our work bringing applicable knowledge and passion to the operation of an intensive organic four-season vegetable production enterprise that exemplifies the synergetic relationship between soil, plant, animal, and consumer. The Market Garden Farmer Assistant is part of a team charged with implementing a visionary 10-year Master Plan.
About Coverdale Farm Preserve
Coverdale Farm Preserve’s practices weave together conservation, high quality food, and community. Our vision is to build a healthy and resilient ecosystem, increase biodiversity, contribute to our local/regional food system, train the next generation of farmers, and educate our constituents.
- Assist Coverdale Farm Preserve Market Garden Farmer, key staff, stakeholders, and partners to develop and implement all aspects of an ~7-acre market garden enterprise. Scope of work includes but is not limited to the establishment/management of an intensive organic four-season production system, build/improve soil fertility, build/maintain infrastructure to support diverse production streams, create/uphold annual production plans including monthly/weekly/daily work schedules & records, demonstrate profitability in line with annual revenue goals, manage land for both nutrient-dense food and biodiversity.
Time Allocated: 50%
- Contribute to marketing strategies, sales, and economic efficiencies for an intensive organic vegetable operation. Support the building of a diversified off-farm client base and developing working relationships with relevant professional partners.
Time Allocated: 10%
- Assist in the supervision a team of 3 – 6 seasonal/volunteer/intern staff. Teach/develop staff skills in regenerative agriculture with emphasis on intensive organic four-season production.
Time Allocated: 30%
- Support community engagement program through collaboration with Coverdale Farm Preserve Market Garden Farmer, Farm Manager, key staff, stakeholders, and partners to develop, support, and participate in farmer training programs, educational programs, and special events.
Time Allocated: 5%
- Support farm colleagues in the operation, service, and repair of farm machinery and vehicles necessary for farm operations.
Time Allocated: 5%
Supervisor: Coverdale Farm Preserve Market Garden Farmer
Sources of Collaboration: Farm Manager, Market Garden Farmer, Farmyard Coordinator, Coverdale Seasonal Farm Crew, Volunteers, and Seasonal Education Crew, Facility Manager & Facilities and Grounds Steward, Land Management Department
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Plant Science or equivalent
- 3 – 5 years of relevant experience in diversified, intensive organic four-season vegetable farming at production scale
- Experience with the process and maintenance of organic certification
- Excellent working knowledge of core issues related to intensive organic, regenerative agriculture
- Knowledge of farm equipment operation, maintenance, and repair
- 1-3 years supervisory & staff management experience
- Professional maturity and positive interpersonal skills with friendly attitude
- Organized, willing to take initiative, think and act proactively to solve problems and assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively
- Excellent public relations and communication skills with an ease and enthusiasm for talking to individuals of all ages
- Ability to work outside for extended periods of time in various weather conditions
- Ability to work as a professional team member in an active, changing environment
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience, full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References