Opportunity Type: Hourly, Part-time, Non-exempt
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Livestock Caretaker is responsible for the daily care, which includes but not limited to providing food, water, maintaining shelters, observation/examination to ensure good health of the small herd of cattle, goats, sheep, and flock of 160 laying hens; 100 turkeys and other animals that may become part of the farm. On a daily basis, the Livestock Caretaker is also responsible for collecting, washing, packaging chicken eggs by adhering to health and safety procedures. This position may also occasionally deliver our eggs to local markets, as needed.
This position reports to: Farmyard Coordinator
About Coverdale Farm Preserve
The 377-acre Coverdale Farm Preserve is comprised of 200 acres of rolling countryside that is a nature preserve. Nestled alongside the preserve is a 177-acre working farm that showcases regenerative agriculture methods. These methods lead to healthier soil and minimize the impact of farming on the land. Discover how we carefully manage this land for biodiversity and water.
- Provide daily care for animals – including but not limited to feeding, watering, haying the animals.
- Observe and/or examine animals to ensure animals remain healthy and happy.
- Clean stalls, sheds, barns and equipment as needed.
- Administer medication to animals as needed and instructed by supervisor or veterinarian.
- Report any concerns or problem to supervisor.
- Work and communicate with core Farm Staff.
- Help to maintain a clean safe environment for the public to visit.
- Ensure all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are implemented, and always enforced.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of audiences.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor or leadership staff.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50lbs.
- Ability to work independently and take and follow directions carefully.
- Ability to always interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors under all weather conditions and terrains.
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to work, plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate $10-12/hr based on experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume (preferred but not required)
- 3 Professional References