Opportunity Type: Hourly
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
DelNature requires that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Proof of vaccination (copy of vaccination card) is required prior to hiring. Applicants unable to vaccinate must submit a medical exemption (note) from their doctor, will need to test every 7 days, and will submit their test results to their supervisor. Based on CDC guidelines, currently, the booster shot is not required to be fully vaccinated.
The Seasonal Land Steward Assistant supports the Land and Biodiversity Team in the overall care of DelNature’s natural and cultivated areas, including all habitat restoration areas, lawns, picnic areas, trails, fence lines, paths and roadways.
- Assist with the care of all tree reforestation sites, controlling non-native invasive plants by both chemical and mechanical means
- Assist in maintaining trails, lawns, fence lines, and teaching areas through mowing, string trimming, and pruning
- Assist in maintaining woody and herbaceous plantings through planting, weeding, pruning, and mulching
- Assist with planting new reforestation sites and watering plantings till establishment
- Assist in maintaining bridges, boardwalks, and wood chipped paths
- Perform regular repair and servicing activities to maintain the good condition of tools and equipment
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles and small and large engine equipment
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
- Requires strenuous physical work; Frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects over 50 pounds.
This is a part time, seasonal position working under 1,000 hours between the months of March and December.
Salary and Benefits
The pay rate is $13 to $15 per hour depending on experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter (preferred, but not required)
- Current Resume