Opportunity Type: Seasonal/Part-Time/Hourly
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
The Seasonal Land Steward Assistant supports the Land and Biodiversity Team in the overall care of Delaware Nature Society’s natural and cultivated areas. This includes all habitat restoration areas, lawns, picnic areas, trails, fence lines, paths, and roadways.
Please note this is a part time, seasonal position working under 1,000 hours between the months of March and December.
- Assist with the care of all tree reforestation sites, controlling non-native invasive plants by both chemical and mechanical means
- Assist in maintaining trails, lawns, fence lines, and teaching areas through mowing, string trimming, and pruning
- Assist in maintaining woody and herbaceous plantings through planting, weeding, pruning and mulching
- Assist with planting new reforestation sites and watering plantings till establishment
- Assist in maintaining bridges, boardwalks, and wood chipped paths
- Perform regular repair and servicing activities to maintain the good condition of tools and equipment
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles and small and large engine equipment
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
- Physical Requirements: requires strenuous physical work; Frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects over 50 pounds.
Salary and Benefits
The pay rate is $12 to $14 per hour depending on experience.