Opportunity Type: 30 hrs/wk, 10-week, Hourly
Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, Milford, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Full-time/hourly seasonal position located at DelNature’s Abbott’s Mill Nature Center in Milford, DE. Supports the Abbott’s Land and Biodiversity Team in the overall care and maintenance of 513.5-acers of lands owned and operated/managed by DelNature in Sussex County. Assists with the maintenance of all DelNature vehicles, equipment, tools, boats, trailers, and facilities.
- caring for tree reforestation and meadow restoration sites, controlling non-native invasive plants through both mechanical and chemical means.
- maintaining trails, lawns, fence lines, and teaching areas through mowing, string trimming, and pruning.
- maintaining woody and herbaceous plantings through watering, planting, weeding, pruning, and mulching.
- maintaining trail signage, bridges, boardwalks, accessible paths, and wood chipped paths.
- engaging and managing individual and group volunteers as needed.
- routine servicing and repairs of all vehicles, equipment, tools, boats, and trailers.
- maintenance, repairs, and cleaning of all facilities.
- other projects, programs, and duties as needed; independent projects encouraged.
- Current student enrolled in college/trade program pursuing a degree in environmental science, wildlife studies, recreation, conservation, engineering, or related field.
- Prior experience with safely operating and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles, and small/large engine equipment (preferred).
- Ability to work effectively and productively as a part of a team, indoors and outdoors under variable weather conditions – rain or shine.
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and has effective time management skills.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a schedule that meets the needs of the organization, including evenings, weekends, holidays, and special events as needed.
- Valid Driver’s License required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- Position at times requires strenuous physical work – frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, and lifting, pushing or pulling objects over 50 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required for this job include close, vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud while operating machinery and equipment. Proper ear protection will be provided and required to be worn at these times.
- Ability to work in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full time/hourly seasonal position, working 30 hours/week for 10 weeks from June – August, 2022 – exact dates to be announced. The pay rate for this position is set at $12/hour for the 10-week term position divided into twice-monthly payments with all required federal and state taxes withheld.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References