Opportunity Type: Full-time, Exempt
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Staff Accountant will be responsible for monthly closing and general accounting functions including journal entries, accruals, GL account analysis, and financial reporting. The Staff Accountant will also be responsible for managing the accounting and reporting (internal and external) of government, foundation, and corporate grants.
• Monitor fiscal compliance of government, foundation, and corporate grants
• Ensure proper accounting to accurately charge allowable expenses by grant, including expense mapping monthly/quarterly as required for draws, internal reporting
• Timely preparation of monthly revenue accruals; invoices
• Complete understanding of project scope and funder reporting requirements/maintain expertise with OMB circulars and other regulatory publications
• Ensure accurate and timely billing of draws to funders including required supporting documentation; monitor payments
• Internal reporting and reconciliation with project managers
• Coordinate and participate in annual audit
• Prepare grant budget adjustments; assist with proposal budgeting as requested
• Assist with month-end close. Ensure monthly reconciliation of all assigned accounts including resolution of outstanding items
• Complete processes that allow timely closing of books, including journal entries, accruals
• Serve as backup for accounts payable, cash receipts, and payroll
•Participate and support organization wide events and programs.
• Promote & support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
• Minimum of three years accounting experience, preferably with a focus on grants management, contract compliance, and fund accounting within a non-profit organization.
• Demonstrated knowledge of accounting software (SGA Accounting – Stock, Gerber, & Associates preferred)
• Demonstrated knowledge of donor management software (BB Altru preferred)
• Excellent accounting and time management skills. Ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities, and deadlines.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.
• Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the organization.
• Punctuality, dependability, effective communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
• Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
• Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
• Perform additional duties at the request of supervisor or leadership team member.
Work Schedule: This a full-time exempt salaried position. The position is primarily M-F, but flexibility to attend evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events is required. Hybrid schedule remote/in-office eligible after successful completion of probationary period
Salary and Benefits
Comprehensive benefits package and paid time off
Hybrid schedule remote/in-office eligible after successful completion of probationary period
Annual Salary $50,000 – $55,000
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References