Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Nancy SteckelPO Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
Director of Facilities
Opportunity Type: Full-time, Exempt
Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, Milford, DE
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Director of Facilities works collaboratively with the DelNature Facilities Committee, Site Directors, and the Leadership Team to ensure that all DelNature-owned and -managed buildings, structures (113,000 sq. ft.), vehicles, and parking lots, are maintained in a safe, efficient, and sustainable way to support our mission. This position directs the design, planning, construction, and maintenance of the organization’s commercial facilities and residential properties. Facilities Director is responsible for developing and managing the day-to-day facility operating needs, capital budgets and long-range facilities plans based on the organizations growth and future facility needs. It oversees all major and minor repairs, performing repairs as able, contracts, bidding, and capital improvements to support the long-term goals of the organization. It promotes our mission by building strong relationships with the people we serve to grow membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation and financial support.
The Facilities Manager reports to the Director of Operations.
Based out of Ashland Nature Center in Wilmington, DE with responsibilities at Ashland Nature Center, Coverdale Farm Preserve, Wilmington, DE, and Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, Milford, DE.
- Responsible for construction, repairs, maintenance and security of all buildings, structures, and parking lots owned and managed by DelNature.
- Manages all work performed by trades and maintenance contracts for major systems including plumbing, electrical, fire protection, HVAC, septic, elevator, solar, waste removal, pest control, etc. and perform minor repairs as needed.
- Manages bidding, contracts, invoicing and billing for all major repairs and capital improvements keeping site directors involved and informed as needed.
- Manages the fleet of DelNature vehicles including DMV registrations and annual maintenance.
- Collaborates with the land and biodiversity management team on snow removal.
- Ensure that construction and maintenance uses best practices with consideration to environmental impact and that capital projects promote environmental sustainability.
- Responsible for creating and managing annual facilities operating and capital budgets in collaboration with finance, senior leadership, site directors, and the facilities committee.
- Develops and implements long term plans and strategies to meet capital needs and guide budgeting for preventative maintenance, energy efficiency and facility improvements in collaboration with finance, senior leadership, site directors, and the facilities committee.
- Responsible for licensing, inspection, and preparing and following preventative maintenance schedules for all facilities systems, contracts, and equipment.
- Manages utilities and associated billing including trash service and port-a-potty rentals.
- Performs repairs and address immediate issues and facilities needs as requested by site staff.
- Manages and monitors building cleanliness and supervises housekeeping staff and seasonal employees as needed.
- Works with the Director of Operations to develop and implement safety and risk management policies and practices.
- Participates in and support organization-wide events and programs.
- Promotes and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- Schedule is primarily M-F. Required to have flexibility to work evenings and weekends, and in immediate-need situations.
- Ten (10) years of experience in facilities and/or construction management with extensive knowledge of county and state code requirements and acceptable standards and practices for the building industry.
- Experience developing and managing operational and capital budgets.
- Experience managing and negotiating contracts and contractors, procuring services and supplies, and overseeing major capital projects.
- Experience with project management/coordination.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software required; experience using Smartsheet project management software helpful.
- Ability to perform minor repairs and troubleshoot other facility needs as they arise.
- Effective at record-keeping and document management.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, duties, jobs/projects, and responsibilities in a fast-paced, high-stress environment.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the sites.
- Punctuality, dependability, strong communication skills; ability to work effectively as part of a team and to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Flexibility to perform additional duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands for Director of Facilities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be able to carry, move and set up necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to work in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
$60,000 annually. Salary commensurate with experience. Eligible for full benefits package including health, dental, vision and retirement.
Director of Facilities Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- 2 Writing Samples (including policy statements, grants, and/ or letters to the editor)
- 3 Professional References