Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Facilities and Grounds Steward is responsible for assisting the Facilities Department by maintaining Delaware Nature Society’s facilities in New Castle County and maintaining the grounds at Coverdale Farm Preserve. Occasional day travel to other sites throughout the state may be required.
- Provide quick responses for all building maintenance related problems.
- Actively participate in preventative maintenance programs.
- Safely operate vehicles and other job-related equipment.
- Follow mowing and line trimming schedules.
- Assist with snow removal and other assigned tasks.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Ability to follow instructions and to exercise care in the use of mowers, vehicles, power tools etc.
- Sufficient physical strength to perform interior and exterior maintenance tasks including the ability to work from an extension ladder.
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision.
- Experience using riding mowers and landscaping equipment.
- At least 1-year professional experience in a trade is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Positive attitude and professional maturity.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The Facilities and Grounds Steward must occasionally lift and/or move over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The work is strenuous and requires significant physical effort.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional References