Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Permanent
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Delaware Nature Society seeks a candidate that has passion for city of Wilmington residents and the organization’s mission to coordinate educational programs for all ages. This is a full-time, salaried position located at the DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC), Wilmington, Delaware. Coordinates all aspects of education programs for schools, individuals and public groups, connecting adults, children and families to nature through unique, authentic hands-on experiences that promote environmental literacy, advocacy and conservation. Collaborates with DNS staff to develop and expand RENEW activities at DEEC and across DNS. Provides information necessary for securing funding sources. Promotes DNS mission by building strong relationships with the people and communities DNS serves to grow membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation and financial support.
- Coordinates, develops, schedules, and staffs nature-based education programs for the community including individuals, schools, and groups. Programs include field studies, afterschool enrichment, summer camps, outreaches, and work-study. Maintains program statistics. Teaches in all program areas. Assists with public visitation. Develops and maintains relationships with schools, community, partner organizations, and program participants. Seeks new programmatic collaborations and partners.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, and supervises part-time paid instructors, education interns and volunteers.
- Promotes and markets programs to community through appropriate meetings and media.
- Oversees the maintenance of educational displays and live animal care. Secures, organizes and maintains all program equipment.
Supervisor: DuPont Environmental Education Center Manager
Sources of Collaboration:
- Collaborate with DEEC core staff: Manager, Visitor Service Specialist, Watershed Education Coordinator, Community Educator and Teacher Naturalist for site education operations.
- Collaborate with Director of Education & Organizational Development, School & Seasonal Programs Team Leaders on curriculum and program development needs, and developing new relationships/partnerships
- Collaborate with development and marketing staff for program promotion
- Bachelors’ degree in science, education, social justice or related field
- 3 years of relevant teaching and engagement experience
- Strong verbal and writing skills, excellent public relations and communication skills
- Exhibits environmental awareness, knowledge, and action from previous positions
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends as needed