Opportunity Type: Full Time
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
An ambassador of DelNature engaging Wilmington communities, the education coordinator works to emphasize the importance of caring for the outdoors including though activities that help address local environmental and social justice issues. The coordinator connects adults, children and families to nature through unique, authentic hands-on experiences that promote environmental understanding, advocacy, and conservation, helping DelNature better engage audiences of color in Wilmington. The coordinator is responsible for the creating, planning, scheduling, preparing, and delivering education and enrichment activities. The position collaborates with DelNature staff to develop and expand RENEW activities. Position reports to DuPont Environmental Education Center site director.
- Develops and leads year-long curriculum for weekly afterschool programs with Wilmington community partners.
- Coordinates, develops, schedules, and staffs education programs including summer camps, community groups, and public programs. Supports site school field trips.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, and supervises part-time instructors, summer interns, and camp counselors.
- Participates in community learning including attending community meetings and events, and seeks new programmatic collaborations and partners.
- Oversees the maintenance of educational displays and live animal care. Secures, organizes, and maintains all program equipment.
- Participates in data collection and evaluation of programs.
- Conducts site-based social media and outreach including newsletters and flyers.
- Ensures all DelNature policies and procedures, including health & safety protocols, are always implemented.
- Promotes and supports DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities to grow membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation and financial support.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Experience creating, developing, and delivering youth programs.
- Strong verbal and writing skills, excellent public relations and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for engaging underrepresented communities including but limited to African American youth.
- Exhibits environmental awareness, knowledge, and action from previous activities.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Familiarity with social media. Familiarity with or willing to learn Canva and similar programs.
- Excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for talking to all ages in a positive, professional manner.
- Must have a team-focused attitude, flexible mindset, and dependability.
- Willingness to learn new skills and topics, and share the knowledge with others. Willing to learn outdoor recreation skills including but not limited to canoeing, kayaking, and biking.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment including lifting canoe/kayaks with help
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains, including biking paved trails and canoeing/kayaking.
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary $35,568. Eligible for full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume (optional)
- 3 References