Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Seasonal, Non-exempt
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Education Assistant will be responsible for the creating, planning, scheduling, preparing, and delivering education and enrichment opportunities. These activities will utilize the farm and the preserve located at Coverdale Farm Preserve. Programming will incorporate our core values of Respect, Stewardship, Collaboration, Inclusion, and Integrity.
This position will engage with the public during scheduled and nonscheduled programs, activities and events. The Education Assistant will work with a variety of audiences such as children, adults, groups, and families. All activities occur rain or shine, except in extreme/unsafe weather conditions, and are conducted both inside and outdoors. This individual plays a key role in educating and engaging the public while at the farm.
This position collaborates with Farmyard and Summer Camp Coordinator, Farm Manager, other core farm staff and educators, to ensure a quality product.
The Education Assistant reports to: Farmyard and Summer Camp Coordinator
- Develops, plans, schedules, prepares materials while following safety (and COVID) protocols for farm-based education and enrichment programs for children, adults, families, and groups while collaborating with the Farmyard and Summer Camp Coordinator to ensure quality.
- Teach, facilitate, and actively engage with the public to create community and a welcoming environment; Clean-up and lock up after the program or day is complete.
- Support, plan, facilitate additional educational programming throughout the week
- Assist with Farmyard and Summer Camp Coordinator with additional aspects of educational programming, coordination, support, preparation, delivery, and trainings as needed.
- Assist and support with administrative duties, as needed.
- Assist and support in special projects, assignments, events as needed on the farm.
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve.
- Degree (or pursuing a degree) in a field pertaining to Education.
- Experience creating, developing, and delivering farm based educational programming for groups of children, adults, and families. Teaching experience preferred, but not required.
- Natural sciences and (regenerative) agriculture knowledge, or experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to actively engage in a positive and professional manner while interacting and building relationships with the public and program participants.
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and ability to talk individuals of all ages.
- Be comfortable working around farm animals.
- Ability to work outside for significant lengths of time in all safe weather conditions.
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, work as part of a team.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 21 years of age or older
April – November; Thursday-Monday; 8 hours/day.
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate – $12-$15/hr. based on education and experience.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature Employment Application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References