Opportunity Type: Full Time, Exempt, Salaried
Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, Milford, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Abbott’s Mill serves as an ambassador of DelNature engaging Milford and the greater Sussex and Kent Counties. The Abbott’s Education & Program Coordinator works to emphasize the importance of caring for the outdoors including though activities that help address local environmental and social justice issues, helping DelNature better engage underrepresented communities. The Coordinator connects adults, students, and families to nature through unique, authentic hands-on experiences that promote environmental literacy, advocacy, and conservation. The Coordinator is responsible for the creating, planning, scheduling, preparing, and delivering education and enrichment activities.
The position collaborates with DelNature Administration/Staff and the Abbott’s Education Team to develop, implement, and expand activities at Abbott’s Mill.
Position reports to the Abbott’s Mill Nature Center Site Director.
- Develops, coordinates, schedules, and staffs/leads education programs for a variety of audiences including schools, community groups, summer camps, and public programs.
- Works with DelNature’s School and Groups Team Leader to develop and implement state-standards based curriculum for school and group programming delivered onsite and/or offsite, and, at times, virtually.
- Assists Abbott’s Mill Site Director in developing and implementing nature- and recreation-based programs to support DelNature’s Mispillion Riverwalk Greenway Eco-Tourism MOU agreement with the City of Milford, in coordination with Milford’s Parks and Recreation Department.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, and supervises part-time Teacher Naturalists, Interns, and Camp Instructors with assistance from Site Director.
- Participates in community learning, including attending community meetings and events, and seeks new programmatic collaborations and partners.
- Oversees the maintenance of educational displays and live animal care, and secures, organizes, and maintains all program equipment with assistance from Abbott’s Education Team.
- Participates in data collection and evaluation of programs.
- Assists with site-based social media and outreach, including newsletters/flyers and tabling/presentations.
- Ensures all DelNature policies and procedures, including health and safety protocols, are always implemented.
- Promotes and supports DelNature’s mission, values, goals, and activities to grow membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation, and financial support.
- Performs other duties as requested by supervisor.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment including lifting canoe/kayaks with help.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to plan, lead, and participate in program activities in a variety of indoor and/or outdoor settings, weather, and terrains, including canoeing/kayaking. DelNature runs programs rain or shine.
- 3+ years’ experience creating, developing, and leading environmental education programs for a variety of audiences.
- Strong verbal and writing skills, excellent public relations and communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to and passion for engaging underrepresented communities. Spanish speaking is a plus.
- Exhibits environmental awareness, knowledge, and action from previous activities.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends as needed.
- Familiarity with using social media to engage audiences and promote programs. Familiarity with or willing to learn Canva, Instagram, and Facebook.
- Familiarity with CRM and accounting databases, preferably Blackbaud’s Altru and SGA Accounting.
- Excellent communication skills and enthusiasm for talking to all ages in a positive, professional manner.
- Must have a team-focused attitude, flexible mindset, and dependability.
- Willingness to learn new skills and topics and to share the knowledge with others. Familiarity with or willing to learn outdoor recreation skills including but not limited to canoeing and kayaking.
- Valid CPR/First Aid/AED certification. DelNature can assist with acquiring certification at time of hire.
- Valid Driver’s License
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary $36,000. Eligible for full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References