Opportunity Type: Seasonal, Non-exempt
Coverdale Farm Preserve, Greenville, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Education and Engagement Assistant will play an important role in educating and engaging the public through 3 focus area: Weekend Family Programs and activities, Summer Camps; and Preschool Programing. The Education and Engagement Assistant will be responsible for creating, planning, scheduling, and delivering enriching and engaging opportunities in the above categories for the various audiences. This position works in collaboration with entire farm staff, educators, marketing, and other staff as assigned for events. It will also have the opportunity to work with the various areas on the farm such as vegetable production, livestock and on-site market.
- Develop, plan, schedule, prepare materials for farm-based education and engagement programs and special events for children, adults, families, and groups while collaborating with the education team to ensure quality.
- Responsible for assisting in development, teaching, and preparing supplies for preschool group programs that occur onsite at DelNature sites and scheduled outreach locations.
- Teach, facilitate, and actively engage with the public to create community and a welcoming environment.
- Responsible for development and teaching a minimum of 8 weeks of summer camp.
- Assist the Program Manager with additional aspects of educational and summer camp programming –coordination, support, preparation, delivery, trainings as needed.
- Assist and support with administrative duties, as needed.
- Assist and support in special projects, assignments, events as needed on the farm.
- Promote & support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of program audiences.
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Delaware Nature Society and Coverdale Farm Preserve.
- Degree (or pursuing a degree) in Education, agriculture, natural science or a related field, preferred but not required
- Experience creating, developing, and delivering farm based educational programming for groups of children, adults, and families. Teaching experience required.
- Natural sciences and (regenerative) agriculture knowledge, or experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to actively engage in a positive and professional manner while interacting and building relationships with the public and program participants.
- Excellent communication skills with an ease and ability to talk individuals of all ages.
- Be comfortable working around farm animals. No experience necessary.
- Ability to work outside for significant lengths of time in all safe weather conditions.
- Must possess the following traits and skills: Flexibility, dependability, critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills, ability to work as part of a team.
- Valid Driver’s License
- 21 years of age or older
Salary and Benefits
Starting hourly rate – $16/hr.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- 3 References (3 past employers or professional references – must include your last employer)