Opportunity Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society (DelNature) has spent over 50 years connecting people to nature with diverse environmental programs and services. As one of the most well respected environmental organizations in the region, we envision a healthy and sustainable environment for all plants, animals, and people living in our region. Our mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, advocacy, and conservation. Working state-wide in Delaware and the surrounding region, we operate four sites where people experience nature in unique hands-on ways reaching thousands of visitors each year.
Selected candidates will be required to submit to a criminal background check. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious and political beliefs. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing each other’s perspective. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply.
The Director of Education and Operations (DEO) is a member of the Senior Leadership team working in concert with other team members to foster a coordinated, collaborative, and effective approach to service delivery, management, and growth of the Delaware Nature Society (DelNature). The individual in this position will oversee the management of the day to day operations and effective management and support of the staff, volunteers, sites, and programs. The DEO will work with Board members, committees, donors, volunteers, and staff, as well as other community-based organizations, for the effective fulfillment and advancement of the Mission and goals of the DelNature. The DEO ensures safe, consistent, cooperative, and innovative delivery of services to meet the needs of the community and consistent implementation of the Strategic direction of the organization. Responsible for strategic program development and support, administration, management, oversight, and evaluation of Preschool, Camp, Out of School, Hybrid and Adult Education. The DEO has fiscal, program compliance, outcome measurement responsibility and must assure the safety and well-being of all participants served. The position will supervise Site Directors, develop staff and volunteers and be instrumental in establishing strategic partnerships and new programs to further the scope and reach of the Delaware Nature Society. Promotes our mission by building strong relationships with the people we serve to grow membership, volunteerism, advocacy, program participation and financial support.
- Supports, supervises, trains, and develops a diverse talent pool to deliver high quality educational and engagement experiences for all participants
- Develops and implements an appraisal system with success measures relevant to the strategic goals and objectives of the organization
- Ensures integrity of all education and engagement programs and operations through the creation and implementation of policies and procedures that will provide high quality service, effective and cost-efficient management of resource and compliance with short and long-range goals and objectives
- Develops annual budgets with key staff for each area of responsibility including strategies, objectives, timelines and desired resources and monitors compliance and expectations
- Establishes and monitors specific outcomes for education and engagement programs and makes modifications as needed for desired impact and results
- Determines the need for new programs or retirement of programs based upon community and participant needs, risk factors and productivity
- Works cooperatively to develop marketing and funding strategies to support key initiatives
- Works collaboratively with all staff to successfully implement strategies to achieve organizational diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice goals
- Serves as a representative of DelNature in the community, participates in professional and civic organizations and identifies new opportunities to increase presence and position of DelNature in the community
- Serves as a leader of the Safety and Risk Management Committee and provides training and accountability to assure compliance with all applicable state and local laws and guidelines, including all child protection guidelines.
- 10+ years in Non-profit operations management with educational programming experience (Preschool, Out of School, Day Camp, and outdoor education preferred)
- Experience with and understanding of Delaware Childcare Licensing
- Degree in Human Service, Education or Environmental Studies
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and day to day expectations
- Proven ability to manage in a multi-site, multi-discipline, Hybrid environment with multiple priorities
- Adept at programming and compliance with federal, state, local, and COVID regulations and requirements
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Proficiency in Microsoft office and computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet, and database management experience.
- Experience developing and monitoring site, department, and program budgets and pro-formas
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience.
Director of Education and Operations Applicants Must Submit
- Delaware Nature Society employment application
- Cover Letter
- Resume with 3 Professional References