Opportunity Type: Full-time
Ashland Nature Center, Hockessin, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
The Director of Business and Finance is responsible for the financial management and reporting of the financial position and activity for a multi-site, statewide, environmental non-profit organization, with assets in excess of $40 million, a staff of 40, and an operating budget in excess of $4 million.
A strategic partner in the financial planning of the organization, the Director of Business & Finance works closely with the Executive Director, Chief Development Officer, Board of Directors, Treasurer, Finance Committee, and other members of the leadership team to plan annual and multi-year budgets in support of our mission and strategic objectives.
Supervisor and Sources of Collaboration
- Reports to Executive Director
- Collaborates with Site Directors and Department Directors
- Direct report – Accountant
- Preparing and maintaining all DelNature’s accounting records by managing the general ledger, sub-ledgers
- Oversees the staff Accountant to assure accurate accounting and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Prepares financial reports to support management and report financial position and activity to external stakeholders
- Works with the Executive Director to prepare the annual budget and salary plan
- Safeguards DelNature’s assets by enforcing sound internal controls, performing account reconciliation, and facilitating the annual audit
- Performs tax reporting, property records, and vendor relations.
- Provides oversight of the DelNature’s investment positions along with the Finance Committee
- Manages human resource programs and functions, maintains personnel records and policies
- Coordinates services with benefit providers while keeping abreast of the state and federal regulations
- Administers DelNature’s benefit program and salary structure and conducts salary and benefits surveys every three years
- Manages other business functions for DelNature including (but not limited to) grant support, contract review, insurance and risk management
- Supports financial planning for capital projects and facilities assessment, and works with the Director of Facilities, Executive Director, and Facilities and Finance Committees to fund and prioritize those projects
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting with minimum ten years of experience in the financial management of a nonprofit entity
- Hands on knowledge of non-profit accounting
- Proficiency in Monthly and Annual P&L reporting, and Monthly/Quarterly Project and Grant reporting
- Proficiency in Accounting software and Microsoft Office suite
- Experience with PayCom a plus
- Minimum Five years of Supervisory Experience
- Experience with Human Resources programs and procedures and benefit program management
- Knowledge of CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software (DelNature uses a BlackBaud product)
Advanced degree and/or CPA preferred.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and be able to carry, move and setup necessary supplies and equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Schedule flexibility/ some remote work will be considered
Salary and Benefits
Negotiable; eligible for full benefits package.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter