Apply for Job
Please submit completed application, cover letter, and resume here, or mail to:
Nancy SteckelP.O. Box 700
Hockessin, DE 19707
Site Director of DuPont Environmental Education Center – DEEC
Opportunity Type: Full-time, Exempt
DuPont Environmental Education Center, Wilmington, DE
Delaware Nature Society’s (DelNature) mission is to connect people with the natural world to improve our environment through education, conservation, and advocacy. We envision a healthy and sustainable environment. Founded in 1964, DelNature, a state affiliate for the National Wildlife Federation, is renowned for our educational programming, conservation, and advocacy. We provide the tools for communities to take action and promote the health of the environment through land preservation, wildlife protection, and watershed stewardship.
We manage over 2,000 acres of land, including four nature preserves, and operates four educational sites: Ashland Nature Center, Abbott’s Mill Nature Center, DuPont Environmental Education Center, and Coverdale Farm Preserve. Our organizational priorities are comprised of three pillars of engagement focused on: Working & Natural Lands, Healthy Waters, and Protecting Habitats and Wildlife.
DelNature aspires to be inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity and is committed to understanding and addressing where we fall short. Diversity creates an awareness of and acknowledges respect for differences and translates into understanding and valuing of each other’s perspectives. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage all who are qualified to apply.
Position works to develop and grow relationships and initiatives to elevate DelNature’s presence and impact in New Castle County Delaware, with special attention to the city of Wilmington.
Manages key operations of DuPont Environmental Education Center (DEEC) and leverages site to build partnerships that foster DelNature’s work in conservation, advocacy, and education in the Wilmington region and beyond. In coordination with local stakeholders and DelNature’s leadership team, furthers initiatives in Wilmington with a lens on projects and activities that address climate change and resiliency, conserve critical habitat and biodiversity, advance environmental justice, and engage people through stewardship and advocacy to protect our natural resources. Focus is in providing programs and building relationships with the Wilmington community through management of the site and RENEW (Reaching and Engaging through Nature to Empower Wilmington).
Reports to: Director of Education and Operations
- Promote and support DelNature’s mission, values, goals, activities, and membership to a wide array of stakeholders and audiences.
- Identify and develop strategic program opportunities working with local and statewide DelNature program staff.
- Manage DelNature’s RENEW initiative including identifying and securing funding sources and working with DelNature staff, and community organizations, to expand opportunities for community involvement.
- Coordinate and manage oversight of the property. Serve as liaison and work collaboratively with the Riverfront Development Corporation.
- Identify and develop funding opportunities, including grants and contracts, and donor prospects.
- Build new, and foster existing, Wilmington partnerships, to increase DelNature’s visibility and profile, especially around initiatives and projects that further our strategic education, advocacy, and conservation direction.
- Manage key operations of DEEC including budgeting, day-to-day supervision of site staff, and programming including DelNature’s paddling programs.
- Work with organization program staff to Increase revenue through increased membership, program participation, events and through other means.
- Manage key relationships with community organizations, neighbors and other stakeholders associated with DEEC and DelNature.
- Grow relationships and initiatives with underserved communities.
- Develop and implement strategy, in coordination with DelNature senior leadership, to build our work in advocacy, conservation and education in New Castle County, Delaware with a focus on the city of Wilmington.
- Participate in and support organization wide priorities.
- College degree in related field required; Master’s degree or comparable level and amount of experience preferred.
- Enthusiasm for working in an urban environment required, with experience preferred.
- 3-5 years management/leadership experience required; outreach and education experience helpful.
- Strong verbal and writing skills, excellent public relations, and communication skills.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive a passenger van, with/without trailer.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work a schedule that meets the needs of the site including day, evening, and weekend responsibilities.
- Punctuality, dependability, and ability to work effectively individually or as part of a team.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to consistently interact in a positive and professional manner.
- Experience in building and managing grant budgets and contracts and tracking fulfillment of grant/donor deliverables.
- Must have a team-focused attitude, flexible mindset, and willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Demonstrated ability of problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making.
- Must pass a background check.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and reach and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and be able to carry, move and set up necessary supplies and equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Ability to work in indoor and/or outdoor settings, with a variety of weather, and terrains.
Salary and Benefits
Starting annual salary of $60,000 plus benefits.
Applicants Must Submit
- DelNature employment application
- Cover Letter
- 2 Writing Samples (including policy statements, grants, and/ or letters to the editor)
- 3 Professional References